Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making Usb Bootable ????

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 naseeb

naseeb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:29 PM

Hello Friends. I have 64 GB sd card and i want it something like this. 
I want to create about 6 bootable os and remaining size for normal file transfer. how can i do so.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 July 2018 - 05:53 PM.
Moved from Introductions to Linux.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

Hi

What operating systems do you want to install?

64 GiB might be too small for 6 linux distros.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

Also, are you wanting to boot a Linux Live Session, or have them Installed as on an HDD?

If you want to do just live sessions then 64GB will be fine.

YUMI Mulitboot - USB Creator

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

I agree with Nick and pcpunk. It depends on what distros you are considering and what type of installation you are considering.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 naseeb

naseeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

I am Not Going to install All 6 OS. I want to install one kali linux, another windows 7 both 64 and 32 bit, another win8(64 and 32), win10(64 and 32) . thats it.

#6 naseeb

naseeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

Is there way to automatically separate the partition size according to ios file and the particular tool will automatically partition the sd card. Is it because i tried to create the partition from 3rd party software like AOmei and Mini partition but i what happened is only one partitition will show on my computer instead of 2 or more that two partition i created. Can anyone guide me well to this. 

Conclusion to what i want again is i have an sd card. i want to add the OS so that i can format others pc for repairing them

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

Please be more CLEAR?  Where do you want to install these Operating Systems, to the USB or to your Hard Drive.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

I want to install one kali linux, another windows 7 both 64 and 32 bit, another win8(64 and 32), win10(64 and 32) . thats it.

Sounds like a waste of time to me, to install all these to one SD Card, is that what you are trying to do?

You only need one tool to Format a customers drive, and that is what you've stated you are trying to do.

Not to mention the performance hit you will experience.  This would be the most important thing to consider IMO.  Why bother with all your time, with this huge project, to a measly SD Card, and it not even work in the end.  Personally I've never created a Portable Windows Install, and really don't know others who do so either.  Linux is better suited to run from a Portable source, and if you choose the right distro, it will come with formatting tools built in.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

Conclusion to what i want again is i have an sd card. i want to add the OS so that i can format others pc for repairing them

Also, the Windows Installer will format the drive during a Clean Install, so no tools are needed!  If you need to format you can use MiniTool Partition Editor or gparted.  gparted comes in some if not most linux distros, and you can download it for free and burn to a disk.  There are many other tools for this also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

I am Not Going to install All 6 OS. I want to install one kali linux, another windows 7 both 64 and 32 bit, another win8(64 and 32), win10(64 and 32) . thats it.

That is seven distros.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

Why, oh why do you people always think Kali is a 'good idea'...?? It's not a good one for a beginner at the best of times.....

(*shakes head in absolute disbelief*)

I hope you're not thinking of hacking with it!!! :nono:

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 July 2018 - 01:35 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

I couldn't find the LIKE button for Mike Walsh's post, but I agree 1000% with this sentiment about Kali.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

I don't think that simple partitioning would meet your requirements in any case as, as far as I know, a BIOS boot loader cannot see partitions, only drives. I believe that you would need to create a logical drive for each installer on this SD card and I don't know if you can do that.

I would think it would be much simpler to use a separate USB memory stick for each OS. After all, all computers have USB connectors, they don't all have SD slots.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

In that case all you need is Gparted on a CD/DVD or USB.

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

A SD card is not the best option to install an operating system to " Repair " Pc's,

Edited by NickAu, 09 July 2018 - 12:29 AM.

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

Although many computers have SD slots they often don't show up in the BIOS/UEFI as boot options, typically only the internal hard-drive, the USB ports and the optical drive are your choices. You can buy little adapters to let you slot SD or microSD cards into USB ports, but typically these slow things down a lot more than if you just had a USB 3.0 stick in a USB 3.0 port.

Note also that you'll probably be having to set up any many partitioned removable device from when you are using a linux OS, Windows operating systems typically refuse to see anything but the first partition on any device which windows regards as "removable media". The fiddling necessary to turn a "removable disc" device into a "local disc", as far as a windows OS is concerned when you plug it in, is nearly impossible. But only on "local discs" (typically a name applied to bigger capacity drives like external HDDs rather than small USBs) will windows see multiple partitions. Linux happily sees however many partitions are on a device, so if you make a multi-partitioned USB or SD from in linux you won't be able to get at other parititions when using windows.

I am a bit unsure why you don't just get a cheap USB stick for each OS you might be needing to boot?

Edited by rp88, 14 July 2018 - 06:40 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users