Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old computer, many problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 neac

neac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

Hello, so my dad has an old (10+ years) desktop.  It does do much but sit in the office and hold the large second hard drive with pictures and videos that everyone accesses from laptops around the house.  The main hard drive on the computer failed (it was running windows 7). I was getting no boot device found. I took it out and hooked it up to a USB adapter and now it just makes a sad noise.

So I figured the drive was dead, as it mainly held windows.  I didn't want to spend the money on a new operating system so I took a spare drive and formatted it, added ubuntu.  I got through the boot up/installation once and now it won't boot up properly.

Either it gets "Invalid configuration information Performing automatic IDE configuration" and then it just stalls.  Or I just get a blinking cursor.

I've reset BIOS to defaults and changed the battery on the motherboard.  Any suggestions??  

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

Hi neac,

Do you know the specs of the system?

Kind regards,
Axe0

#3 neac

neac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hey Axe,

Its a Dell Optiplex G620

Intel Pentium 4 531 / 3 GHz

about 2 GB Ram

New SATA drive western digital 250

#4 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:50 AM

Do you have a rescue media (USB or cd) from which you can boot?

If not, I recommend to download from https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html as it has several programs preinstalled that are of help in various different situations.

Kind regards,
Axe0

#5 neac

neac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

No boot disk specific to this computer, and the dvd drive died some time ago.  I tried a USB boot drive with limited luck.  Honestly I'm pricing used/refurbished desktops now that I can just add the big drive to.  

Thanks for your help though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users