Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard input from microfone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amadeok

amadeok

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

Hello, 
I'd like be able to send some key strokes with a microfone, for example "a" or, "control" keys, by speaking to a microfone. Is this possible?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

"Is this possible?". 

Yes, possibly, maybe, depending on what OS you are using. What OS are you using ?  If you are using Win 10 you should be able to get Cortana to do that, or Siri if you running OSX. Other than that voice to text software exists, there is some built into Windows - look under 'Accessibility' - but I have no experience of using it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 amadeok

amadeok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:25 AM

"Is this possible?". 

Yes, possibly, maybe, depending on what OS you are using. What OS are you using ?  If you are using Win 10 you should be able to get Cortana to do that, or Siri if you running OSX. Other than that voice to text software exists, there is some built into Windows - look under 'Accessibility' - but I have no experience of using it.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks for reply I'm using windows 10. Since i can't use both hands while gaming, I'd like to use the microfone to send certain keyboard strokes. Do you know any software that does that?

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Assuming you plan to say these letters and have the microphone pick them up, relay the audio to the computer and then have the computer think it's key has been struck you'll need it will be necessary to have some form of speech recognition. For single letters this will be much simpler than speech recognition for full words, and their does exist software that can handle it, but it is a tricky task and can be unreliable.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:50 PM

Hi amadeok,

Here’s an option to try. Windows 10 has speech-to text app found in Ease of Access via the settings window. Your assistant will need to have a bit of time get this accessibility app set up and, you would need a microphone set up and working before starting. Here’s how you would find the Speech app settings.

Click the windows key -> click on the gear for settings -> click on Ease of Access -> scroll down to Interaction and click Speech -> scroll down to Dictate text and control your device only using your voice -> move the Speech Recognition button to yes. After that you will receive a pop up asking if you want to allow this app to make changes to your device -> click yes and at that point you will arrive at a welcome screen to set up speech recognition, follow the prompts to get going. (I did not continue at that point to guide you what will take place.)

Give this app a try, if it is a success, it would be awesome for you to return to your thread to let us know if this Microsoft app works, no doubt there a lot of people that could benefit from this app! I hope that it works.

softeyes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users