Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken power supply --> no internet connectivity?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

My Dell Latitude E6430 (Windows 10) won't connect to the internet anymore.  This coincided with a green wire bundled in my power cord getting severed (on the side of the transformer that's closer to the computer).  I don't think I have a wireless card in the laptop (is this even possible?  I can't find it.)  Do I just need to get a new adapter/cord?

(In case this adds any useful info: it also won't charge the battery.  I tried a different adapter/cord that worked on another computer and it still said "not charging."  A computer guy said that the part of the computer that directs the charging seems to be kaput.)

Thanks!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

The reason that it won't charge the battery is that one of the leads is broken - you need a new charger and possibly it needs to be a Dell one. Some manufacturers are getting positively tricky about making you need one of their chargers if yours fails. Unless the other charger was from another Dell it is likely that it would not have connected properly, there are significant differences in the dimensions of the plugs that go into the laptop.

You definitely have a wifi card in this laptop but it may be integrated into the mobo rather than a separate discrete unit. But if the battery isn't charging I am surprised that the laptop is working at all as the battery will only keep it going for something on the order of four hours.

You need to get hold of a correct charger for this laptop. First of all to see if you can get some volts back into it and to test if there is a problem with the physical connection betwen the charger lead and the mob, but without a working charger you can't test it. However, if you know somebody with a Dell that uses the same battery you could use their laptop to charge your battery.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

The charger I have is a Dell.  I also tried two other chargers, one of which definitely worked with other computers.  I haven't been using the battery at all.  In fact, I took the whole thing out b/c it's so heavy, and I can use the computer for things that don't need the internet.  Basically, I can play Solitaire on it.  OK, I can work on documents, but then I have to use a USB drive.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

this is one of those adapters that has issues with the power connector in the pc itself!

1. try blowing out the power connector in the pc with air ( the inside has an infra red detector built into the jack itself when it gets dirty it won't charge anymore)

2. if blowing it out doesn't work then the power jack in the computer need to be replaced, then it will start charging again.

#5 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

Do you mean the area in the computer that the power cord plugs into?  It's a barely-used computer, so it's probably not dirty, but maybe it needs to be replaced.  I didn't know you could do that.  Once I replace the cord, I'll test this out.  But my main problem is not being able to get online anymore.  Is the green wire that is exposed and actually severed the culprit?

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

Do you mean the area in the computer that the power cord plugs into?  It's a barely-used computer, so it's probably not dirty, but maybe it needs to be replaced.  I didn't know you could do that.  Once I replace the cord, I'll test this out.  But my main problem is not being able to get online anymore.  Is the green wire that is exposed and actually severed the culprit?

it could be, but if you buy a replacement buy an OEM replacement don't buy a generic for $13 like on ebay or amazon it won't charge correctly either.   you need to make sure "OEM replacement" is in the description.

but that's not going to effect your internet issues, or it shouldn't.

#7 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

Yes, I have read enough about chargers/adapters to stick to OEM.  thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users