Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard doesn't boot up, blank screen.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zack61w

zack61w

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hi there,

I found a MB lying around, wanted to restore and use it. The motherboard is ASUS H61M-K with 4GB of RAM, Installed it perfectly. When I power on the PC, the motherboard doesn't boot, blank screen,I'm getting no error beeps from the motherboard, HDD led blinks for a sec then stops after powering, the CPU fan seems to be running at full speed, the hard disk seems to be spinning when I place my hand on it. Here's what I did, checked the PSU works fine, checked the RAM, Did CMOS rest and the BIOS reset with the jumper pins, replaced the CMOS, Checked the HDD works fine, the led on the motherboard glows which means theres power supply to MB. I don't know why the motherboard isn't booting up. The physical condition looks like new, no burnt marks or any damage. 

Edited by zack61w, 04 July 2018 - 01:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

if your cpu fan is spinning at full speed, then I would start with the cpu heatsink and clean the old thermal paste then re apply a small pea sized amount on it and put the heat sink back on.  you may have a thermal issues going on.

#3 zack61w

zack61w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:44 AM

I just did, same result. By the way, if I turned on the motherboard with no RAM sticks there has to be a beep right? There's no beep

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hi there,

I found a MB lying around, wanted to restore and use it.

If the board was trashed by someone...it may have been for good cause.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

What is the make and model of this motherboard?

Did you install this motherboard with a Windows operating system already installed on it?

What operating system are you running?

If nothing else, the price didn't hurt you. :whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 zack61w

zack61w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

Hi there,

I found a MB lying around, wanted to restore and use it.

If the board was trashed by someone...it may have been for good cause.

Louis

True, it maybe. But I would like to learn the cause and explore it. How would I find a defective MB?

Edited by zack61w, 07 July 2018 - 12:11 PM.

#7 zack61w

zack61w
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

What is the make and model of this motherboard?

Did you install this motherboard with a Windows operating system already installed on it?

What operating system are you running?

If nothing else, the price didn't hurt you. :whistle:

The make and model is ASUS H61M-K

I have a blank HDD installed to it, no operating system. The MB doesn't even post to get into BIOS setting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users