Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"invalid value for registry" when I click on a video

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:09 AM

Hi.

A few days ago I downloaded the windows updates for June and ever since I have been getting the "invalid value for registry" warning when I click on any video in my main account.  Photos still load and if i'm in the admin account I can still play video.

I tried running "wsreset" but it didn't help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

Try opening command prompt (as administrator)   type CMD, and wait until the blue box pops up above that says "Command Prompt" right click on the blue area and select "run as administrator" click "ok"  type in the command prompt box :  sfc /scannow    (let this run to completion)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

What was the update that was last installed? 

You can find this by pressing the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

In Settings click on Update & Security.

O7p5cKL.png

Then click on Windows Update, then View installed update history.  These updates are dated so you will be able to recognize the most recent update installed.  Please post the update which was installed, example:  (KB4284819), this was installed on my computer on June 13 2018.  Once we know which update this is we can find information for resolving this problem.

There are a couple of things you can try to resolve this, one would be to do a System Restore.  Select a restore point dated prior to the installation of this update.  You can also try uninstalling the update, this may or may not resolve this problem.  One the page showing the View installed update history click on Uninstall updates, you can click on the update you wish to uninstall by right clicking on the update you wish to uninstall and select Uninstall to remove the update.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

I ran sfc /scannow, it said "windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

The last updates installed were KB4284819, KB4287903, KB4056254 on June 28.

My computer is an HP pavilion dv6 notebook, it's about 9 years old and installing updates has been a problem ever since I upgraded to Window 10.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Hi, found this on an MS help site, appears to have helped some:-

1. Click on Start, choose Settings

2. Depending on which build of Windows 10 you have, either click System, then Apps & features, or if Apps is in the main Settings screen, click Apps 

3. Within the Apps and features, locate and click on Groove Music, then click Advanced options.

4.  Click Reset to reset this app.

5.  Repeat steps 3 and 4, but this time look for Movies & TV.

Note: I found that setting the default Photo and Movie player to Windows Media Player also works.

#6 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:52 PM

Thanks jenae, that fixed it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users