Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I stop windows 10 from downloading apps like candy crush saga

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 moon982

moon982

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:50 AM

How can I stop windows 10 from downloading apps like candy crush saga, dragon mania legends, minecraft, Bubble with 3 saga and so on. I don't want these apps and it is taking up hard-drive space.

Also when longing in to a standard user account on windows 10, I get a pop up from device manager saying you are logged on as a standard user. You can view devices settings in Device manager but you must be logged on as an administrator to make changes.

What is going on here? Is Device manage some how set to start up when logged in? When I check the task manager under start up I do not see Device manager there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

There is a very good article at the How-To Geek website which explains why this is occurring and what you can do to resolve it.

There should be to types of  accounts on your computer, a standard user account and a Administrator account.  There are changes that you cannot make while using a standard user account.  If you experience this you will need to change to an administrator account.

To access the Device Manager do the following.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.  When the menu opens click on Device Manager in the menu, this will open it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:19 AM

To OP: Check Here.

EDIT:

This is what I usually do step by step.

1. Import the .reg key to avoid installation of suggested apps.

2. Reboot your PC for changes to take effect.

3. Download GeekUninstaller.

4. Run it and under VIEW menu - >Windows Store Apps.

5. I usually sort the list by SIZE. And remove what I do not want (mostly crappy games I am not interested in).

6. Reboot your PC (not necessary, but I like to do it) and enter Microsoft Store (Downloads and updates). Those removed apps. shouldn't be there anymore.

I have saved almost 1,5GB of free space by removing just the games.

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 05 July 2018 - 04:22 AM.

#4 moon982

moon982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:03 AM

There is a very good article at the How-To Geek website which explains why this is occurring and what you can do to resolve it.

There should be to types of  accounts on your computer, a standard user account and a Administrator account.  There are changes that you cannot make while using a standard user account.  If you experience this you will need to change to an administrator account.

To access the Device Manager do the following.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.  When the menu opens click on Device Manager in the menu, this will open it.

Problem is some how device manager is starting up when I log into the standard user account.

This does not happen when I log into the administrator account,

This never happen on one of my other computers running windows 10 but seem to happen on this computer running windows 10.

Yet in task manager under start up i do not see device manager there. So I do not know how or why it is set to start up when log into the standard account.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:36 AM

Hi, open your standard user account, press the win + x keys together from the options select Powershell (admin) Powershell will open.

Copy ALL the below cmdlet, and right click anywhere in the Powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter:-

Get-CimInstance Win32_StartupCommand | Select-Object Name, command, Location, User | Format-List | out-file $home\file.txt

start notepad $home\file.txt

Please copy and paste the notepad output here, or use the "more reply options" to attach the file here.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

If jenae's suggestion doesn't work you may have a corrupt user account.  If this is the case you should create a new user account.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings, then click on the following: Accounts, Family & other people, Add a family member.  Create your new user account.

Once this account is created and functioning you should remove the original user account now.

Edited by dc3, 06 July 2018 - 08:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 moon982

moon982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:02 AM

Hi, open your standard user account, press the win + x keys together from the options select Powershell (admin) Powershell will open.

Copy ALL the below cmdlet, and right click anywhere in the Powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter:-

Get-CimInstance Win32_StartupCommand | Select-Object Name, command, Location, User | Format-List | out-file $home\file.txt

Please copy and paste the notepad output here, or use the "more reply options" to attach the file here.

Copy and paste the text in Powershell?

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

Hi, highlight the cmd and right click on the highlighted text, select "copy" now with powershell open, right click anywhere in the powershell window the copied cmd will append itself to the prompt, all you do then is press enter. Notepad will open you can copy and paste the contents of the notepad here.

#9 moon982

moon982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:05 AM

Hi, highlight the cmd and right click on the highlighted text, select "copy" now with powershell open, right click anywhere in the powershell window the copied cmd will append itself to the prompt, all you do then is press enter. Notepad will open you can copy and paste the contents of the notepad here.

There are 4 power shells.

Windows power shell

Windows power shell X86

Windows power shell ISE

Windows power shell ISE X86

Not sure what power shell to use or why there are 4  power shells there.

Edited by moon982, 19 July 2018 - 12:06 AM.

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:24 AM

Hi, open your standard user account, press the win + x keys together, from the options select Powershell (admin) Powershell will open.

Edited by jenae, 19 July 2018 - 12:25 AM.

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:20 AM

I pinned Powershell & CMD to my taskbar.

screenshot_52.jpg

screenshot_52.jpg

screenshot_52.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

@ medab1

That's quite a convoluted method just to set this up in the taskbar for someone who will probably only use it once. 

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.  Then select Powershell (Admin.).

That seems pretty simple to me. :whistle:

#13 moon982

moon982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:03 AM

I found the powershel some how and ran the command and got this.

Name     : OneDriveSetup
command  : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /thfirstsetup
Location : HKU\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
User     : NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

Name     : OneDriveSetup
command  : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /thfirstsetup
Location : HKU\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
User     : NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Name     : OneDrive
command  : "C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background
Location : HKU\S-1-5-21-1416278217-3310554117-955902450-1003\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
User     : DESKTOP-DILP2B8\Robert

Name     : OneDrive
command  : "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe" /background
Location : HKU\S-1-5-21-1416278217-3310554117-955902450-1004\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
User     : DESKTOP-DILP2B8\Bob

Name     : SecurityHealth
command  : %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe
User     : Public

Name     : SynTPEnh
command  : %ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

Name     : Unattend0000000001{854AEFFB-33ED-431B-ACF1-9E42073A955D}
command  : devmgmt.msc

Name     : IgfxTray
command  : "C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe"

Name     : HotKeysCmds
command  : "C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe"

Name     : Persistence
command  : "C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe"

l

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

Hi, this took some time you do have device manager set to run it is shown here:-

I don't know what is calling this {854AEFFB-33ED-431B-ACF1-9E42073A955D} will be unique to your computer, and may well be some form of malware. You could copy paste the {854AEFFB-33ED-431B-ACF1-9E42073A955D} into the find option in regedit and see what comes up.

However as startup items are non critical, it would not hurt to simply remove (delete the entry from the registry)

Open regedit (win + r keys) type:- regedit, Navigate to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane look for the devmgmt.msc entry, it will be among the others from the startup list you found using the powershell cmd I gave you. Find the right one and right click on the key select "delete".  If this is too much for you post back and we will help.

#15 moon982

moon982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:25 AM

Hi, this took some time you do have device manager set to run it is shown here:-

I don't know what is calling this {854AEFFB-33ED-431B-ACF1-9E42073A955D} will be unique to your computer, and may well be some form of malware. You could copy paste the {854AEFFB-33ED-431B-ACF1-9E42073A955D} into the find option in regedit and see what comes up.

However as startup items are non critical, it would not hurt to simply remove (delete the entry from the registry)

Open regedit (win + r keys) type:- regedit, Navigate to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane look for the devmgmt.msc entry, it will be among the others from the startup list you found using the powershell cmd I gave you. Find the right one and right click on the key select "delete".  If this is too much for you post back and we will help.

It only comes up when I log into the standard user account. But if I log into the administrator account it does not come up.

That is what is so strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users