Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding A 1gig Ram Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

My computer currently has 512 ram and I was thinking of getting a gig card for christmas. The problem is my computer only has 2 slots and both have a 256 in them. So i was wondering would it be ok to have one 256 and a 1 gig in? The main thing I was wondering about is, how its better to have two cards in it to split it up or whatever is it ok that there of different values? Thanks for at least viewing!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

Hi Sterling14,

That depends :thumbsup: . Some computer do allow for mix matching memory while others do not. You can visit Kingston.com and select the type pf computer you have on the pull down. Or - tell us the make and model of your pc.

Good luck

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

Sweet that website is really good thanks. Now I have a new question lol, whats the difference between ddr333 and ddr400?Isn't it the megahertz value and what is better?
'
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Here is another link to a site that a lot of the members here use.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=RAM

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

Sweet that website is really good thanks. Now I have a new question lol, whats the difference between ddr333 and ddr400?Isn't it the megahertz value and what is better?
'

DDR 400 is a little faster, but you want to get the same type as ram that's already in your computer.

Lets say your motherboard can use both DDR333 and DDR400 and that you currently have DDR333 ( just an example ) If you put DDR400 in, your motherboard will underclock it to DDR333 speed.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:10 PM

PC3200 memory is 400 mhz bus speed memory.
PC2700 memory is 333 mhz bus speed memory.

From my memory of usage :thumbsup: you cannot mix those two. The have a different configuration as far as where the guide slot (little slot on memory that keeps you from plugging it in backwards or in wrong computer) is on the memory chip.

Use the one that best matches your computer.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:24 AM

PC3200 memory is 400 mhz bus speed memory.
PC2700 memory is 333 mhz bus speed memory.

From my memory of usage :thumbsup: you cannot mix those two. The have a different configuration as far as where the guide slot (little slot on memory that keeps you from plugging it in backwards or in wrong computer) is on the memory chip.

Use the one that best matches your computer.

Yes you can mix them, if your motherboard supports both as many do. Just the higher clocked memory will clock down the the lower clocked memory.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:38 AM

Yes you can mix them, if your motherboard supports both as many do. Just the higher clocked memory will clock down the the lower clocked memory.

Protozero is correct.

Rough day at the office :thumbsup: Sorry about the slip in info.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Thanks guys this was really helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users