Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update won't run.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zap1974

zap1974

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

I am trying to help a friend update windows 7 home premium box. He had a bunch of malware of the box which I beleive is now cleaned up but windows updates won't run. i have tried their repair tool but no luck getting it to start. Once I click on update it says the service is not running and I can't figure out how to get it to run. The system doesn't have sp1 on it and I've tried to run the stand alone update for that and it fails and it looks like its because windows update isn't running. When I run the windows update trouble shooter tool it comes back. Problems installing recent updates as Not fixed. I then proceed to the next repair Rename software distribution backup folders. And I get the following errors: 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Pietro>Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Access is denied.

C:\Users\Pietro>Ren %system%\sytem32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
The system cannot find the path specified.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

sounds like you still have malware.....but anyway.....

control panel > system and security > admin tools

double click "services"

scroll down in that list to "windows update".....double click

what is the "startup type" set to?

Edited by mikey11, 03 July 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#3 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. Its set to Automatic (Delayed Start) and under status says started.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

start it in safe mode and see if updates will run

what did you do to get rid of the malware?

Edited by mikey11, 03 July 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#5 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

I tried in safemode and it won't open the Windows update window. I even tried to right click and run as an administrator with no luck. Its also popping up that my windows in Geniue when it is a pre-installed copy. I ran Malwarebytes and it located a bunch of stuff but there might be more. Is there a log I can send for you to look it anything looks off or anything else to try with the windows updates. 

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:47 AM

Wherever you are getting your advice about renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder - that advice is mediocre and will never work the way you are doing it because...

You can't rename the SoftwareDistribution folder while the Services involved with Windows Update are running so you must stop those Services first - even the Microsoft page has the bad advice,

From Microsoft this is impossible to have the desired effect and you will see the errors you posted:

[attachment=205533:Untitled.jpg]

If anyone gives you that advice (the way you are doing it) that means they have never followed their own advice or they would know it does not work.

And another thing about that advice is that it would be rare for there to be a mention that your Windows Update history will be wiped out (not your Installed Update list),

So from your Command Prompt window opened as Administrator issue the following commands one at a time pressing the Enter key after each:

net   stop   wuauserv
net   stop   bits
rename   %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution    SoftwareDistribution.bak
net   start   wuauserv
net   start   bits

Edited by joseibarra, 04 July 2018 - 03:10 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:07 AM

There has been an issue of late where when checking for updates Windows Update reports the problem that the service is not running (but it is) and sometimes the solution is to go to Windows Update Settings and change it to Never check for updates (click OK to save) then (a restart wouldn't hurt) go back to Windows Update and manually check for updates.  That should get things rolling again.

Here is a popular topic about it in the MS Answers community:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/solution-to-windows-update-cannot-currently-check/a61e2514-087d-4cb4-893b-20608d79524c?auth=1

Having Windows Update set to download/install automatically can be risky because it is well known that Windows Update will often download/install hardware driver updates that can result in a no boot scenario or you needing to create another topic in some community with a title like "Windows Update broke my computer". 

You can configure Windows to not accept hardware driver updates (a safe adjustment) - see here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2500967

But I would still keep the setting at Never and check for updates myself periodically.  That way I am in control of what updates get installed on my system instead of Microsoft.

It is also well known that there are some MS updates that are considered spyware/snooping updates that periodically transmit information about your system back to the MS Servers.  Microsoft calls it "telemetry".  Most other folks call it "spying".  If you trust Microsoft and believe that they would never gather and collect any of your personal information then let Microsoft be in charge of what gets installed on your system. 

Examples of updates to avoid/Hide (some may now be obsolete):

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

KB2976978 Ease upgrade to latest version of Windows

KB2977759 Ensure compatibility to Win10

I would prefer to be in charge of what updates get installed.

Edited by joseibarra, 04 July 2018 - 05:12 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

Hi thanks for that. I went through the tread and one of the suggestions was to update the intel drivers so I did that and now windows updates is running fine.

The one update it won't install in Sp1 for Windows 7. I tried through the update and the stand a lone download and keep getting the same error towards the end.

it says Error: Error_sxs_component_store_corrupt (0X80073712).

Any suggestions on how I can repair this so I can get Sp1 to install

Thanks in advance..

#9 zap1974

zap1974
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

Just to follow up this appears to be item that is causing the issue above. I just don't know what it mean or how to fix it.

AutoAnalysis::
WARNING: Manifest damage on component "amd64_microsoft-windows-capi2-certs_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16784_none_1e82b42cadd77b7d". See CBS logfile for more details.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,035 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

But I would still keep the setting at Never and check for updates myself periodically.  That way I am in control of what updates get installed on my system instead of Microsoft.

I no longer agree with this since Microsoft has changed the way updates are delivered via Windows Update. Since late 2016 all updates are in a rollup package. These include both Improvement Updates and Security Updates in one rollup update. You have multiple security updates in the one monthly rollup. You cannot opt out of which updates you wish to download other than ones outside of the rollup like .NET and the Malware scan. Also, it is Microsoft's intention to include all post SP1 improvement updates in these cumulative rollups including any telemetry updates. There is no way around this other than to download Security Only rollups in the Microsoft Update Catalog which also have multiple fixes in one download. Unfortunately these are not cumulative so if you miss one you are not getting them in the next Monthly Security Only update  in the Catalog. 

Edit: Once you do the preliminary updates on a clean install you will eventually get the one monthly rollup. I did the Security Only Updates since last year but it was becoming too much of a hassle and decided to go ahead and use the monthly rollups from Windows Update telemetry updates be damned. I think the best approach is to set Windows Update to notify when updates are available but let me decide when to download and install. Wait a bit and see if the rollup causes problems before installing.

What's in the monthly rollup? The Windows 7 and 8.1 monthly rollups include not only this month's security patches, but also all past security and non-security fixes, going back to at least October 2016, and possibly further. In other words, a monthly rollup is a superset of the month's security-only.

Side note: "Rollup" is a term Microsoft has used for ages to label catch-up updates, those that bring a program or operating system up to current status by bundling all past fixes. (Usually from a specific point in time, say, the last major release, which in the past were called "service packs" and abbreviated to "SP" as in "SP1" to designate the first such collection.)

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3243261/microsoft-windows/windows-7-update-guide-how-security-only-and-monthly-rollups-differ.html

Graphical-View-Of-Changes-To-Servicing-1

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgrdogs/2016/10/11/changes-to-software-updates-on-down-level-operating-systems-for-configmgr-admins/

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2018 - 02:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users