Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ancient Dell Inspiron 1720 - Keyboard Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

I have a now ancient Dell Inspiron 1720 that I converted to a Linux box.

I have what I consider to be a strange problem on this machine, because it exhibits itself similarly on three different keyboards, the original and two replacements I acquired over time.  The symptom is that the 'i' and 'p' keys consistently do not work on all three of them, which is so unlikely to be a keyboard fault itself on three keyboards that I believe something else is afoot.

On at least one of  them a couple of keys that are physically close to the 'i' and 'p' keys, e.g., the '8' and/or '9' keys above also will not work, but the 'u' key between 'i' and 'p' works on all three.

The keyboard on this machine does not use a ribbon cable, but has a hard "tab" connector at the base on the left side that slides into a connector on the motherboard.

This makes me suspect that something has gone wonky with one of the connections in that connector on the motherboard that relates to a couple of keys and that, depending on the keyboard I've installed, that may be true for more than one connector based on the slight difference in stresses that may be placed on the entire connector (or keyboard tab, or both) based on the keyboard installed.

What I'm wondering is whether this theory makes any sense whatsoever to those who know quite a bit more about the hardware end of things than I do.  If it does make any sense, is there something I could try to see if I could revive the function of these keys for the built-in keyboard?  [Everything works just fine if you are using an external USB keyboard, so I know that it's tied directly to something related to how the built-in is interacting with the machine].

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

I'm going with connector too. About the only thing I can think of is to put some deoxit gold on the connector and see if that helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeoxIT-GOLD-G100L-Squeeze-Tube-100-solution-2-mL-/360858464023?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

John,

I have Deoxit Gold in spray form, and gave that a try yesterday.  I may try some very gentle mechanical cleaning with a tissue as well.  I am suspecting a bad solder joint myself, but who knows.

This came to the fore again when I decided to install the latest Linux Mint and started trying to type in "my usual" username and password.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users