Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer AspireX1700 sparks and won't boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

I've been trying to revitalize an Acer Aspire X1700 one of my colleagues have been using for work in our office.

(https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-x1700-u3700a/specs/)

All the hardware is the original one, except the PC currently hasn't any HDD and i just removed also it's optical reader.

The problem is, basically, the PC won't power up.

When i try to press the power up button, the light sparks for a second and then nothing.

I've been thinking about a faulty PSU (but it could also be the motherboard, couldn't it?).

Now, the problem is, the AspireX1700 PSU has the strangest shape ever. I'm not aware of any PSU with that shape and pcpartpicker doesn't provide any kind of "shape" filter for PSU (this: https://www.amazon.com/L220AS-00-CPB09-D220R-Inspiron-GATEWAY-eMachines/dp/B071YRZSM4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MAYHRK4460AM6JKM9NJW)

A normal PSU won't fit in the case for sure. I'm not really in the mood of buying an original substitution, since it really sucks (220W - 0 certification) and it costs about 60-70$.

Here are my questions:

1) Am i right pointing my finger to the PSU?

2) Do you have any suggestion for PSU substitution?

3) If i go for a normal PSU, i guess i'll have to change the case aswell. I've tried an old EMachines case, but it's impossible to mount the aspire motherboard in a safe way, since only 1 screw could be used. In this case, have you got any suggestion for a budget case and a budget PSU i could use for the Aspire motherboard and equipment? It doesn't matter for me how big the case is, it can also be a full ATX, i've got no room problem.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by donisonleague, 02 July 2018 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

Could it also be the PSU sensing a short on the mobo?

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

I ran a Dell with a atx standard desktop power supply setting right next to it for months without any problems and yes you have to remove the side cover or cut a slot into the side cover for the wires.

OK it is an unorthodox repair although didn't want to spend the cash for a proprietary power supply and already had the other power supply so why not.

If you have a known working power supply available I would give it a try but yes I agree don't spend the cash.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

So basically i could try another PSU whilst keeping the case open and the PSU on my desk?

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:27 AM

So basically i could try another PSU whilst keeping the case open and the PSU on my desk?

Yes as long as the cables reach and plug into where they are needed it will work fine.

The only concern might be small children or cats as they always have to investigate and look into everything.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

Yes as long as the cables reach and plug into where they are needed it will work fine.

The only concern might be small children or cats as they always have to investigate and look into everything.

Trying it today (no kids around) and will let you know!

#7 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

UPDATE:

So here is what i did: 

Connected the new PSU, tried to fire it up, it sparked again and didn't boot. For half a second the cpu fan and the psu fan started working but immediatly stopped.

I was sure the new PSU worked, so i tried to remove all the PCI cards.

Tried to power it up again, and it worked.

At this point i tried to attach again the network card, and it still worked, so i guess that the gpu was faulty and the psu was sensing a short on it.

I'm not enough tech-savy to find the culprit connection on the card, but there is no problem.

So, at this point i'm able to make the pc start.

Here comes the other problems:

1) The CPU should have an integrated graphic, a GeForce 7100 or nForce630i - BUT the monitor won't show anything, despite being connected to the mobo VGA output.

2) The CPU fans seems to be working at 100%. Honestly i'm a bit scared here, since i've never in my whole life heard a CPU fan doing so much noise, i mean, it's like an hairdryer, nothing less.

Sidenotes:

-I could try change the CPU, i've another LGA775 available

-I could try the older PSU which at this point probably works, being the GPU the culprit, but it hasn't a switch and at the present moment the PSU switch is the only thing i can use to power off the PC.

-There is no HDD nor Optical Drive connected. I'm trying to boot from an USB or at least see the BIOS. I don't think this matters, but tell me if i'm wrong.

-Both RAM sticks are connected, however i can hear no beep, so those should be fine - but again if i'm wrong, please tell me.

-The new PSU was 24pin, whilst the OLD was 20pin. It should be backward compatible, so i plugged it (checking the right holes)

Any idea?

*EDIT: Actually, despite cnet showing the pc model having an integrated gpu, cpuboss says Pentium E2220 has no integrated GPU. http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Pentium-E2220 

Edited by donisonleague, 08 July 2018 - 06:05 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

I don't think your CPU has the integrated graphics. If it did then it would be Intel graphics and not Nvidia. Your Nvidia GeForce 7100/nForce630i is a separate chipset on the motherboard.

If you pulled an onboard GPU then it's possible the reason you are not getting a signal to the monitor is because the BIOS still thinks it's installed. Usually this is auto detected. I would pull the power, pull the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and power. Reboot. 

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

Since the processor fan is running at full speed and the switch is still sparking it is looking more like a failed motherboard.

#10 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

I don't think your CPU has the integrated graphics. If it did then it would be Intel graphics and not Nvidia. Your Nvidia GeForce 7100/nForce630i is a separate chipset on the motherboard.

If you pulled an onboard GPU then it's possible the reason you are not getting a signal to the monitor is because the BIOS still thinks it's installed. Usually this is auto detected. I would pull the power, pull the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and power. Reboot. 

Obviously you're right - i don't know where my mind was.

Thank you for the suggestion, i've managed to POST successfully by:

1) Removing the dedicated GPU (likely fried/shorted)

2) Removing CMOS battery, cycling for 30 secs, and booting. The system apparently though the dedicated GPU was still attached.

The network card seems to be working fine, and i'm burning a live dvd to try to boot. I've no spare HDD at the moment, so i won't be able to fully test, but things seems to be working fine.

The CPU fan isn't anymore working like a nuclear reactor (i mean - i couldn't even hear the TV in front of me with that noise) after i got into BIOS, resetted and rebooted. It's working normal now.

I didn't manage to boot from a WIN10 usb (says "Missing OS" on the screen), don't know why, but i'm gonna try with a DVD. Maybe i need some drivers for the USB ports.

Thank you really much for all your suggestions.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

You are Welcome,

The missing OS makes me believe the DVD or USB is below the HDD in the boot order in your BIOS settings. I would check that.

#12 donisonleague

donisonleague
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

You are Welcome,

The missing OS makes me believe the DVD or USB is below the HDD in the boot order in your BIOS settings. I would check that.

Yeah, i tried to put USB first, DVD second, HDD third, but nothing. Maybe drivers are needed.

However i've burned a couple DVD and i'll try tomorrow. Thank you for your help John, and many thanks also to Toolman

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

I believe you can tap F12 at boot for a boot menu to select your bootable device. If not then I believe it needs to be enabled in UEFI settings.

https://au.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7550/~/changing-boot-order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users