Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Hangs in OS and Applications | New Build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bneed123

bneed123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

Hey guys, I've recently built myself a new computer, I'll list the specs bellow.

Ryzen 2600

8GB DDR4 Crucial RAM @ 2400 MHz

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Mobo

GTX 1060 6gb

AeroCool Integrator 700Watt PSU

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

1TB Seagate HDD

After building and installing Windows I've been having all sorts of issues with using the system when underload and just generally using the system within Windows, this includes doing things from just sitting on the desktop to running a benchmark and crashing just as the benchmark launches or randomly as it is running.  I've been attempting to sort out the situation for the last few hours and have gone over the following steps

Removed and reinstalled Display Drivers using DDU

Updated Windows and installed Chipset and Audio Drivers

Reinstalled Windows

Changed RAM slots

Moved GPU across two different PCI-E Slots

I've also seen something quite strange when I actually do get into benchmarking, I have run both Furmark (As a stress test) and Heaven for a little while and I'm getting way lower FPS than what I believe this PC should be pulling, I was getting a max of around 16 in Furmark at a low res and I'm getting around a max of 24 in Heaven at a low res which clearly isn't right for a 1060.

The Freezes are random and can happen with or without load on the system, the freezes can also range from the display just soft-locking (Can still hear audio in the background) or the full computer shutting down and rebooting with a black screen, I've even had a weird instance a few times where the system would go through the Windows boot-up process just fine and just go to a black screen after login.

My original idea was this would possibly be a PSU issue but I've currently not got a spare power supply on hand to test it with, but then I saw the lower FPS and determined that I might have a failing video card on my hands here. I'm not overly sure so I've decided to consult here to see if I can get any advice or help on what might be wrong here.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

bneed123

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

I'm not so sure it could be the PSU, at least not with the soft-locks.

I remember having similar problems to yours with an old amd GPU but i was also getting error messages before the crash most of the times.

Have you got an integrated GPU? And how is the system going when you run it in safe mode?

If GPU turns out not to be the problem (neither hardware nor driver), you could also try to boot from a live usb and see if a bad windows installation could be the problem, although you already tried to install it again...

#3 bneed123

bneed123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

Hey, cheers for the reply. The new Ryzen line, well the 2600 doesn't come wit an integrated GPU and it was doing the same hangs in safe mode. 

I found something interesting although it doesn't explain the random hangs or it might I dont know.

My card was sat at 405 mhz on the memory while running the benchmark which would easily explain why it was sat at 22 fps. 

The question is why is my card not going straight up the max memory clock when under load and could this explain the issues with the hangs? 

I'll keep on looking at this to try and figure it out anyway.

Thanks

Bneed123

Edited by bneed123, 02 July 2018 - 07:42 PM.

#4 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

I guess from your reply that you ain't got another GPU to try to determine if the GPU it's the problem.

That fact is interesting indeed. MSI cards monitoring can be easily done through MSI Afterburner which could also be easily used to modify memory settings and clock.

You may want to take a look if you haven't yet.

#5 bneed123

bneed123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

Ive just been near the case while the pc is running and the gpu is making an awful buzzing noise, Ive read up online and people say this is due to inadequate power delivery to the gpu. If this is the case this would explain the display lockups and refusal to boost clock up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users