Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My cell phone or their Wi-Fi?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dakotaboy

dakotaboy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Several years ago the family restaurant I frequent several times a week started to provide wi-fi.  It began as an unsecured network (ala Starbucks, etc.) but a couple of years ago they changed the security settings so that one had to sign on using personal Facebook account to gain access.  This worked fine until about 2 months ago.  I go there 4 or 5 times a week and since the problem started I was able to sign into their wi-fi exactly twice.  Every other time I get the following message:

(Google icon in top right corner; i have a Moto Droid Z).

"Webpage not available.

The webpage at http://1.1.1.1/reg.php count not be loaded because:  net::err_connection_refused"

Is this an indication there's a problem with my phone?  Or is there an issue with their wi-fi?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

Well that webpage you list is to Cloudfares new DNS service they provide and on my phone it redirects to https://1.1.1.1/ so it could be that they set the homepage the wireless redirects to after you authenticate and its not redirecting.

So many questions need answered like the following:

1) Can you browse to another page after the connection refused error? So what I mean here is in the address bar try another website like https://www.bing.com/

2) Do you get an IP from their service and if so is it a private non routable IP? EXAMPLE: 192.168.1.101 or 10.1.1.51 

3) Have you tried deleting your web history and cookies and then connecting again?

4) Do other patrons experience the same issue?

#3 dakotaboy

dakotaboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

Nunos:

1)  I tried once, got error message stating no connection

2)  I don't know; nothing pops up

3)  I have not; tried, but I've never done it before and it saves history by date. It would take me hours to delete the history.  Couldn't find where to delete the cookies

4)  Yes, every time I mention it I'm told they are getting a lot of complaints.

Next time I'm there I'll mention about the redirect.

Thank you for the response.

#4 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

Well if they are getting alot of complaints they may need to have someone look at the settings in the router/wap. It could be DNS misconfigurred, they may need a firmware upgrade for the router/wap, could be wifi interference from other devices on the same frequency and channel.

I use WiFi Commander to scan for wireless frequencies and channels in use at sites before installing WiFi so we can pick a frequency and different channels to avoid problems. Perhaps you can find a similar WiFi Analyzer App for your phone in the Google store that is free and run a scan while you are there to see what is in use. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users