Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have to disable one of my display adapters to run games.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lcooper4

Lcooper4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

I have to disable one of my display adapters to run games, and when I do, they run very poorly. I do this through Device manager > Display adapters and then either disable my Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m, or my Intel® HD Graphics 4600. when I disable either of them, my games can barely run. When I keep them enabled, they crash on launch. The games I am trying to play are COD BO2, GTA V, and World of Warcraft. I am on an ASUS laptop and I have run these games perfectly well before. Can anyone help/know whats going on? thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

This shouldn't happen especially with well established mainstream games. The first thing I would do is go the the laptop maker's web-site - in this case ASUS - and download the latest video drivers for your OS (operating system) and model. When you download them save them somewhere you can find them again, your desktop will do fine. Then go into 'Download manager', expand the entries under'Display adapters' until you can see both your video cards then double click on each, one at a time, to bring up their properties dialogue box.

Here, click on 'Drivers' then 'Update drivers'. This will bring up a screen with two options, choose 'Browse my computer . . .' then browse to where you stored these files, select them and click update or install whichever is offered. If your new drivers are newer the system will go and install them, if not, you will get a message saying the newest drivers are already installed or words to that effect. If you get this message then the drivers are probably not at fault, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Lcooper4

Lcooper4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

Then go into 'Download manager', expand the entries under'Display adapters' until you can see both your video cards then double click on each, one at a time, to bring up their properties dialogue box.

I have done everything successfully until this part how would I go to download manager? I searched for it on my computer and nothing appeared. Also why do I need to bring up the properties dialogue box?  Thanks for the reply though. I really appreciate it!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

I think that Chris meant "Device Manager"...sometimes what we think is not what we type.

Louis

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

Sorry !

Correction:-  For 'Download manager' read 'Device manaager' !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

I don't know about Asus, but HP laptops with multiple video cards have some settings in the BIOS that you can change that might help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users