Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will a virus migrate from HD to HD or partition to partition?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

Hello Folks,

For perhaps a year now, I'm pretty sure I have a virus. IP jumps around, web pages don't load the first time and I have to click the little circle arrow to reload a time or two. Web pages take maybe 5 times longer to load than they used to. Web pages sometimes don't load as they are supposed to. They are basically just text along the left side of the screen instead of looking like a web page. I have to tell it to reload.

I have a 1TB hard drive with about 7 partitions. One of which is my C: windows partition. I have C, D, E, F, G, H, I.  I also have a second 500GB HD that is supposed to be where my weekly backup goes, but that never worked.

I want to put a new 250GB SSD drive in the computer, reserved for just the operating system.

I'm thinking I want to boot from a USB drive with some software that has mouse support, video support, allows me to format, partition, and perhaps other tools. Maybe even access the Internet. I would disable the C: drive, perhaps just change the drive letter.

Then turn off the computer and install the SSD.

Then boot with the Windows thumb drive, assign C: drive letter, and install windows 10.

***After I install the new SSD drive, could a virus migrate from the old regular drive and infect my new SSD? What if the virus were one of those root viruses, or in the MBR or something?

Harry

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2018 - 02:40 PM.
Moved from MRA to General Security - Hamluis.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users