Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Physical Memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum so please bare with me if my post is out of line. I am somewhat concerned with my Physical memory reading by taskmanager. I am running Windows XP Home, with SP2. I have 512mb physical memory, which came with the machine. I believe somewhere around 64mb, is reserved for video graphics, although somewhere I read it could be as much as 256mb. The computer is a Compaq SR163ONX., 3500+AMD Atholn 64 Processor and a 200 GB hard drive. In the preformance tab of taskmanager, under physical memory, I show Total:457192 (K), Available: 172448(K), and System cache: 255443 (K). My concern is, should there be more available than the 172448 (K), or am I missinterpeting the readings. I have wittled my startup (msconfig) to 7 processes, and my running process to 37 from 47. I would like to get it down further, but I believe those that are still running are necessary as per internet research. I am running AVG Free as my av, I run AdAware and SpyBot at least twice a week as well as ewido, so I believe the machine is pretty clean of nasties. I have no problem with the operation of the machine, just my concern over the task managers readings. What brought this to my attention was the reading on my other machine. It is running Windows XP with SP1. It is a Compaq S6020WM. It had 256 mb of ram with a 40 gb hard drive. I installed another 256mb of memory to total 512mb. The task manager reading in it reads: Total: 515568, Available: 249228 and System Cache: 367220. I believe it has only 8mb reserved for video graphics, I could be wrong on that. My question is, what can I do if anything else, to increase the available memory. Does SP2, take that much more to run?. And do I really have a concern. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for you time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

The task manager may not give accurate total readings.
If you want to verify what shows as installed and what is being shared by your video card download Everest Home Edition V1.51 from oldversion.com
(you will find it in the utilities section. V1.51 is the last freeware version of Everest that has a software module which is very helpful, so get that and not later versions.

By the way, running XP on a computer without SP2 opens your computer to myriads of unpatched exploits. SP2 is primarily a security update and is critical for you to have installed.

Microsoft no longer supports computers running anything below SP2 so the absence of it means you also do not have subsequent critical updates.

I'll tell you one thing: I wouldn't want my email address to be in that computer!

#3 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will find and load Everest. As far as sp2, the machine at issue is running sp2, the machine (this one is sp1). I agree with you, but I have other things to address with this one. Sorry I did not get back sooner. I was waiting for an email notice that I had a reply, but I never received one

Edited by sparkyrhett, 13 October 2006 - 06:58 AM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:12 AM

Download Everest V1.51 here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

#5 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter