Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

documents won't open

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kak53

kak53

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:44 AM

I have no idea why -- this is a new issue.  I can't get some of the documents in "My Documents" to open.  What program do I use to open them?  Somehow they've been changed to open with Adobe Acrobat.  But an error message says this document will not open with this app.  I'm trying to open a WPS file.  I hope someone can give me very simple instructions on how to correct this problem.

Thank you.

Windows 10

Avast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:23 AM

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:28 AM

https://www.lifewire.com/wps-file-2622400

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

Hahaha Rocky beat me to it.  :bananas:

Edited by xrobwx, 02 July 2018 - 10:52 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

I also wonder how one would even get WPS files on one's system if one does not have MS-Works unless they were sent as attachments.

It is extremely odd to have files of a type that no program on your system (or that was on your system at one time) creates, barring their having been sent to you by a trusted source as an attachment.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 jmcgrat3

jmcgrat3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

The free WPS Office suit produces files with the extension .wps.

So if you or someone installed that free Office suit, they could produce such files.

Also If you were sent files created on WPS Office, it could explain it.

Finally settings could have been changed turning .doc files into .wps files which may only open with WPS Office.

jmcgrat3

#7 jmcgrat3

jmcgrat3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

Windows 10 Pro is installed on my Desktop PC.

Microsoft Office Pro 2010 is installed and correctly creates files in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

The problem is: My new or previously created Excel spreadsheets having extensions .xls or .xlsx, will no longer open with Excel, but rather attempts to open with what seems to be a picture editing application (Microsoft Picture Manager).

Even a newly created spreadsheet starting from the desktop excel Icon, once saved, will not open with Excel, instead it attempts to opens with MS Picture Manager.

“Rt. Clicking” the file, then “Open With” only gives LibreOffice Calc as the opening app choice, which does work, but is not what I want.

Is there a setting that has been changed that is causing this?

If so show how I can reset it to regain full use of Excel.

More info:
When I go to ‘Settings>Choose default apps by file type’, for .xls and .xlsx files, the default presented is Microsoft Office 2010.

But, this choice does not open the spreadsheet; it tries to open the sheet with Microsoft Picture Manager.

Left clicking this choice brings up other choices, but do not include Excel. Why not?

How can the Excel choice be reestablished?

J McGrath
[Personal e-mail address redacted]

Edited by britechguy, 16 July 2018 - 07:26 PM.
Bleeping Computer strongly discourages the posting of personal e-mail addresses for security reasons. All assistance should be asked for and offered on the forums.

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

Hi kak53, you need a third party converter to open a.wps file, such as ZAMZAR, you might consider giving it a try.

Click on the ZAMAR link below, then click on Convert WPS File at the bottom of the blue box. (Although the converter program is free, you do need to provide an email to receive your converted file.)

Link: https://www.zamzar.com/fileformats/wps

Background info about WPS files, written by ZAMAR (not me) and found when you open the link:

The WPS file format is very similar to the DOC format, it too is a text document but it is created with Microsoft Works Word Processor; and does not include advanced formatting options and macros that a Word document may contain. Most versions of Microsoft Word can open a WPS file, as well as Microsoft Publisher. However this format has been discontinued since 2006 and replaced with the standard MS Word DOC format.

The file format WPS is used by Microsoft Works Word Processor files. These files contain word processing documents created by the Microsoft Works software suite. WPS files contain richly formatted text as well as images, clipart and tables. A C++ library exists, called libwps which allows reading and writing of WPS documents, this library allows applications such as OxygenOffice and NeoOffice to open and edit WPS files.

I do not have a .wps file to test for you with ZAMZAR, however I was successful using the program to convert a .wpa song format to .mp3. The conversion process was zippy quick and I had no problems with using my email address. You are given a teaser to sign up for an account but it's not mandatory.

Keep up posted. If you don’t have success, let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users