Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$500 PC Upgrade - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 YoungJaaron

YoungJaaron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

Hey guys,

I've recently run into a bit of cash, and I'm looking to use a portion of it to upgrade my PC. I'm wondering what you all would suggest upgrading.

The computer is used for gaming and video editing, so it does take on a pretty big load sometimes. I've only run into speed issues a few times, particularly when editing films, so I may not even want to upgrade the parts themselves, but just work on the look of the build.

In terms of look, I'm wanting to make a blue/black build, I'd rather not use blue LEDs, but more white to highlight the individual components. Water cooling is something I'm interested in, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it (change my mind), and I wouldn't even know where to start.

Anyways, what do you think I should do? I have a $500 budget (flexible), and I'm ready to upgrade, whether it be components, water cooling, or cable management. Any tips about rearranging parts or cleaning up what I already have would be very helpful as well.

Thank you!

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n47YWD

Picture of Build: https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/8bb061b1-2dee-468a-b21c-029b7d8aa175

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

Not much you can upgrade. More/faster SSD space, more memory and better video card.

For CPU upgrade you'll need new motherboard.

You already have watercooler.

Since you have windowed case, you can easily add more lighting. Like LED fans etc.

#3 YoungJaaron

YoungJaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:40 AM

I'm thinking either a Samsung EVO 970 and a GTX 1060, or a Prime Z370-A and an i7-8700k.

Which do you think would have more of an impact?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

Neither. GTX1060 is barely (or not at all) faster than RX480.

i7-8700K is barely faster than current CPU but only if you have need more than 4 cores. And if you need, Ryzen + AM4 platform is miles better choice.

So I suggest waiting and/or collect more money for upgrade.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 July 2018 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users