Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDoS attacks - How my IP was exposed?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 coronaman556

coronaman556

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

I have participated in a gaming tournament over the weekend for a lot of money. It was a tournament I previously competed in, and was DDoS'd. The first time it was probably because of the TeamSpeak server I joined to play. I was a real threat in-game to these people, and I know what specific "clan" it was that ddos'd me. I do not click links, etc. I thought I stayed very safe on the internet, because I knew this would happen if I wasn't. 

But this time I played it on a fresh internet, new IP address, at a location I have never been to before and no games have ever been played on it. I still managed to get DDoS'd at a critical moment and unfortunately lost the tournament because of it. I have no idea how my IP was leaked, as I had only been on the IP for a few hours. I desperately would like people to help me figure out how my IP was exposed yesterday so I can participate in the next one with full confidence. I scanned my computer with Avast before the tournament, and after the tournament I knew there had to be something wrong, so I scanned it with malwarebytes and I will post those results.

I know this is an internet problem though, and not as much a PC problem. I just don't know what to do at this point. I do not feel safe. Many others on my team were targeted with the attacks as well, they obviously stopped after the tournament was over and the money was won. Me and many others did what we thought was keeping our IPs safe throughout the tournament, but it proved to do nothing.

I would love people to ask me questions that could help me out so we can figure this out together. I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I am new to all of this.

I'm assuming if someone had access to my windows they could get my NEW ip like that. I just don't know what to think anymore.

On the malware scan: mindspark and palikan seem to be the only 2 things that "infected" my computer. 

Edited by coronaman556, 01 July 2018 - 08:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

But the IP address you are using is not private to you. Whichever ISP you used has to know it since they assign it and the DNS system has to know it or you cannot receive any communications from the internet.

Being DDoS'd does not require that anybody accesses your computer or even installs malware on it

And, for information, Mindspark and Palikan are both browser hi-jackers.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users