Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem creating an .iso of Win7 for backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SRC45

SRC45

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

Hello all,

Thanks to much help here on this forum, I now have a clean and fresh install of Win7 on my desktop that is running as I want it to.

I'd like to create an .iso image of my configuration (as well as a boot disc), so that if I run into any problems in the future I can restore it myself (rather than asking for help here AGAIN).

After a Google search, I attempted to create an .iso by clicking Start Menu > Getting started > Back up your files > Create a system image.

When I attempt to select my USB drive (I want to write the .iso to a thumb drive for storage and to also save a copy on another computer), the system tells me "The drive is not a valid backup location".

Even after some GoogleFu, I'm lost here. What I need/want to do is to create a complete .iso of my system along with a bootable DVD that will allow me to reinstall it if it becomes necessary in the future.

The USB stick I am attempting to use has been formatted and has more than enough capacity to contain the .iso (I believe).

So, what am I not seeing here? How can I accomplish this or is there a better solution? 

Thanks in advance for the input, if I need to supply further details, please let me know (and PLEASE be as specific as possible).

SRC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:22 PM

You do not take iso images of a hard disk configuration with all your programs and settings. You would use disk imaging software and create disk images to a USB external hard drive. All allow you to create a rescue disk or USB flash drive. Using this rescue disk or USB flash drive and the image on the USB external drive you would be able to restore your OS with all programs and settings intact. The USB external drive would allow you to create multiple disk images, the frequency depending on programs installed and updates downloaded.

The imaging software would allow you to replace a failed drive, boot the rescue media, then recover the image on the USB external drive allowing you to be back up in minutes. No partitioning or formatting of the new blank drive is required. All the programs also allow you to mount the disk image as a virtual drive allowing you to copy any file out of that image. If your drive failed and you needed a file in that image you could install the imaging software onto another computer, mount the image on the USB external and pull the required file off.

Some of the free programs

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Aomei and Easeus allow you to do file/folder backups to an image file as well as complete disk images. Easeus being the most intuitive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 July 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#3 SRC45

SRC45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

Once again JohnC_21, thank you so much for your help. You've been very helpful on several questions now.

I downloaded Easeus last night, and I plan to use it tonight to create an image of my Win7 machine.

I was wondering however, can I use that to also create an image of my stable & working Ubuntu installation on another machine? If so, would the recovery process be the same in case of disaster on that machine??

Thanks again.

SRC

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

I don't believe Easeus would not be able to create an image of the Ubuntu installation. I would contact Easeus to confirm this. For linux I would use a live Clonezilla disk or USB flash drive. Clonezilla has a bit of a learning curve. You could still use the same USB drive to backup the images of Ubuntu to. 

Here is a video of using Clonezilla to create an image. Be careful when selecting the source and target drives.

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

Go to 10:58 int the video to start the tutorial. Your internal drive would probably sda and your USB external as sdb but yours may be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFU-eG8UaTM

Remember to create the Easeus Rescue disk or USB flash drive and boot it to see if it detects all  your drives including the USB external drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users