Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heather106

Heather106

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

I am sorry but I got lost trying to find the correct forum to write into but this is the closest I could find. My boyfriend has accidentally spilled gatorade on his laptop and we had attempted to dry it, we haven't tried anything else though. Regardless of that it hasn't turned on and he is looking for advice on what to do. If there is a more suited forum please let me know v.v

Edited by Platypus, 01 July 2018 - 08:03 PM.
Moved from System Building forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Has the battery been removed?  IMO a tear down is needed, it is important to see how much actually got into the innards.  Fair chance it will need good cleaning, which may or may not provide good results.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Heather106

Heather106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:25 PM

I don't know where his battery is, the whole bottom is basically sealed. From what came out of the side, quite a bit went in. 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

Frankly it a crap shoot, but it may be worth a trip to a computer tech.  The right guy may have a decent shot at saving it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Heather106

Heather106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

Where we live and his families knowledge, there isn't anyone they wanted to trust to try to fix his computer so, he took it apart and cleaned each piece. It seemed to have mainly affected the usb and display. Little to none had gone to the battery and the hdd due to pretty good placement. So far it is put back together and on, all keys work, audio works. Is there anything someone to recommend to check the files or what to do or look out for afterwards?

Random thing though, regardless of before or after the incident his power up to the log in screen is still about 2 minutes.

Edited by Heather106, 02 July 2018 - 12:11 AM.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:25 AM

any drink with sugar is a killer to electronics!

you have to disassemble it and clean the motherboard with a cleaner solvent and then dry it.

if it's been a few days with the battery not removed then it's probably too late and the damage has already started. sugar crystallizes then causes shorts.

sugar is just bad!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users