Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I recieved a CAUTION status when i did a smart disk check

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blakeyo11

blakeyo11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

I just used the CrystalDiskInfo program to check my hard drive and recieved a caution status and im wondering if i should be worried about my hard drive. When i booted up my computer today i had a "disk read error press ctrl+alt+del" message which is why i checked my hard drive. I haven't had many problems before this but my hard drive has been acting relatively slow recently. 

I've already backed up my important data on a usb but im wondering if it's ok to continue using this hard drive, i've heard great things about this brand and they are supposed to last for 5 years yet i haven't even had mine for a year....

I'm running windows 10 and have had this Western digital black hard drive for less than a year.

I've included a snippet of the report from CrystalDiskInfo 

The Current pending sector count is 36 and the uncorrectable sector count is also 36

Attached Files

Edited by blakeyo11, 01 July 2018 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

Well...when is the last time that you ran the chkdsk /r command?

In any case...that's what I would do.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:18 PM

The reason you received a caution is because you have 24 sectors that were not readable and could not be moved as the Reallocation count is still zero. I would continue to pay attention to the Current Pending Sector count and if you see it increasing I would consider replacing the drive. Edit: Also pay attention the the Reallocation Count.

I would run the WD specific test on your hard drive. Run the quick and extended test. If you have data on the drive that cannot be replaced back it up first to another device or the cloud before running the test.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?h=p2&ID=940&lang=en&p=236

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 July 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#4 blakeyo11

blakeyo11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

I ran the chkdsk in cmd prompt and these were the results 

I have never previously run this test before

Attached Files

Edited by blakeyo11, 01 July 2018 - 02:15 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

Chkdsk was read only because you did not use the /R switch Louis posted. It didn't attempt to repair anything. You have two corrupted records that hopefully can be resolved with the /R switch.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

. . . and if you see it increasing I would consider replacing the drive.

To add to what JohnC said, at #3, I strongly advise that you pay attention to backing up your data. This of course is something you should be doing anyway but given any sign of a question mark against your drive it becomes imperative.

This drive may soldier merrily on for years, but it may not and there is nothing like having a recent back-up of your data to reduce the catastrophe of a dead drive to merely a serious nuisance.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users