Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 laptop very slow!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

Hello, I have a HP 15 notebook running windows 10 that has become very slow and was looking for some  advice on how speed it up.

The system specs are 

CPU  Intel Celeron N2830 @  2.16 ghz and 4.00gb  ram.

I have ran both Avast and Malwarebytes  and all scans came out clean, I have also ran CCleaner and disabled most startup items as well as running registry and system cleaner. 

I have also looked at task manager "processes" and see that the "disc" is at 100% but cant see what is causing it it to be so high.

Thats about the limits of my knowledge so if anyone offers assistance please keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance for any help given!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

as well as running registry and system cleaner. 

what programs did you use to do this?

#3 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Hello and thank you for your reply!!

I used the "CCleaner" app to do these tasks.. 

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

in addition to what you have done, i would suggest downloading and running ADWCleaner,

after you do that perform a clean boot......

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/228

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:49 AM

Hi, it's a pity you didn't ask here before doing anything. Running CCleaners registry cleaner can and does present risks, especially if you combine it with Avast and Malwarebytes, the latest version of malware bytes enables the full version as a trial then you can revert to the free version, the full version will conflict with Avast, which in-itself conflicts with windows ten.

You really only need windows defender.

Use malwarebytes uninstaller and Avast's uninstaller to be rid of them, if you made a backup of the registry using ccleaner please restore it. 

Once done open a cmd prompt as admin, go to search and type:- command prompt right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy ALL the cmd below into the cmd prompt window.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, notepad will open with a lot of data please save to desktop as a txt file then use the "more reply options" at the bottom of the thread to attach the file in your response, we can then assist you more.

#6 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

Okay, thank you both for the assistance so far,

Mikey11    So I have done the tasks suggested by Mikey11 and the ADW program did find 15 issues that the other scanners did not.

after completing their removal and doing the clean boot steps the computer seems faster and more responsive.  

jenae   I will perform the things that you have mentioned also when time permits ..

thanks again for all the assistance..

#7 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

Hello jenae,  here is the system info you requested.

Just an FYI, after preforming the tasks recommended above the machine seems much better.  

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users