Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fitness thread

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joombo

joombo

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:44 AM

Anybody into bodybuilding or general fitness? 

I've lost about 31 pounds over the course of three months. Overall goal is to lose 95 pounds. I get my exercise via a stationary bike, which is also how I play Overwatch most of the time. For the last month, I've also been using calories counter app. It gave me a 2200 daily calorie budget but usually I try to stay a fair amount below that.

What do you do to stay in shape?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:58 AM

I walk.

Up to 9 km/day

Quickly....enough to raise a sweat.

This activates the metabolism, and burns fat

I am also diabetic, so my diet is Good.

I drink water almost exclusively.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

I ride a bike along a nearby creek.  Around 100 miles a week.  I see an increase in weight during the winter months when rain curtails any riding but it returns to normal in the summer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

I don't think of it as "staying in shape" but just another part of life...a part which I deem as important as the parts which allow me to stay healthy (by my value scale) and which I naturally gravitate to.

As a child, exercise was a normal part of life for me, being born in 1947 and growing up in the 50s.  For children of that era, "play" meant activities such as baseball, basketball, impromptu "races" and running, parks and the use of the athletic fields provided.  Being on sports teams was normal but much of the time spent on sports...had nothing to do with the teams.  It seems that children expected themselves to naturally be active, expending all the energ of childhood in various forms of semi-constant physical exercise.

From about 9 years of age until 35 or so...basketball was my favorite physical activity...not because I thought it was good for me, but because I was a fanatic about every aspect...playing, collecting flip cards, monitoring the stats of all players who I deemed noteworthy, be they high school, college, or professional status.

Around 33 or 34, I realized that I was no longer quick enough to play basketball at my personal standard...those younger players seemed a lot quicker than they had been :) and I did not think this a good trend for a basketball fanatic like me.  So I began to run to the gyms or schoolyards to play, rather than get rides to such.  I did this to fill up the "activity gap" which was developing as my participation in basketball decreased.

In a couple of years...I no longer thought of myself as a basketball "player" but as a "runner."  I was 37 then and pleasantly surprised that I had come to love running almost as much as I loved playing basketball.  No special facilities were needed...no need to find others to play with/against, no special equipment, weather was a minor factor, I could do it at any time of the day for as long or as little as I wanted...it was perfect for me.

I am not capable of the speeds nor the distances that I had become used to...that's only natural :).  But I never began running seeking such.  For me, it was just a natural progression for my desire for physical activity.  The fact that this activity also helps mitigate the risks of heart attack and stroke...is a side benefit which I appreciate more since I passed the age of 60...but the fun of it remains the reason that I now plan on running 2-3 times a week, at a VERY slow jog, with a minimum distance of 3.5 miles each time.  Why 3.5 miles?  It feels right for me.  I don't set a maximum and I don't jog the same distance or same route each time...I like deciding those things once I decide to get going :).

My personal physician tells me that I can probably expect to live until 90 or so, with my diagnosed Type 2 diabetes presenting no problems at all for me.

Just trying to keep on...keeping on :).

Louis

#5 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

Here's my story. I hope you find it inspiring.

I'm 54 years old. After graduating high school I went into the Army. 2nd BN, 325th ABN INF Regiment. After 4 years of that I was in shape. Unfortunately, when I got out I let myself go. By the time I was 33 years old I weighed over 325 lbs (147.42 Kg) I'm only 5'7" (170.18 Cm).

One day I was waddling (I didn't exactly walk then, I waddled) through Kennedy Plaza. That's the public transportation hub in downtown Providence, R.I. Anyways, the R.I. National Guard was having a Recruitment Drive, and I thought it would be nice to at least taste the military life again, even for just one weekend a month. So I approached the Sergeant there and told him I was active duty with the 82nd Airborne, and I would like to sign up. He took one look at me and just bust out laughing, right in my face. I wasn't insulted, I knew what he found so funny. After 2 minutes of splitting his sides he calmed down, put his hand on my shoulder and said: "I would love to sign you up, but seriously, lose 100 lbs, then come back and see me". This was at the end of November. "Sure", I replied. "That'll be my New Years resolution. Lose 100 lbs and then see you."

So I started on January 2nd. I had too good of a time New Years Eve to begin on the 1st. The first thing I changed was my diet. I limited myself to just 2 servings of carbs a day, and 6 to 8 ounces of lean protein and all the fruits and vegetables I wanted. I was going through a half dozen apples, 3 to 4 oranges, a bunch of bananas, a head of lettuce... You get the picture. It worked. I lost 40 lbs in 4 to 5 weeks.

Now to increase my physical activity. We had an ancient exercise bike in the cellar, it was going to be finally used. I could feel her trembling with fear as I approached her. She wasn't too thrilled with the idea that I wanted to ride her. When I started I could maybe ride for 5 minutes, then I needed to rest for 10. Another 40 lbs melted away. Great, I thought. Now I can start some calisthenics, and start building some muscles. I read somewhere that a pound of muscle burns around 15 calories an hour, even if you're just sitting on the couch, working the TV remote. A pound of fat, just 4 calories an hour. In the end I didn't lose 100 Lbs in one year. I lost over 150 Lbs in about 7 months. And I never looked back. I still get a lot of exercise and watch what I eat.

Edited by Bezukhov, 01 July 2018 - 10:08 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

At 67 now and prior to rheumatoid arthritis that hit 8 years ago:  Judo as a young teen, over the years, different off & on martial arts, decades of physical work in the trades, hiking/backpacking, sports-wise- handball, water volleyball a few years, many mostly other sports that were one -on-one's since I preferred individual vs. team sports, always stretched the body as that is essential to all. Swimming has always been a need throughout life.

Specs, if you will: 5/10, always about 160 lbs. with slight deviations (less now due to health inconveniences) so have (previously) been very strong for size, limber and always had very fast reflexes.
Today, I'm a garden slug. :) 

Tried to add as an edit so as not to bump, time-line to do so ran out. 
Anyway, an article from a remarkable gentleman on Sanchin Breathing which I read in the 70's and adopted thereafter, which will work in all fitness endeavors.  It is two pages (2nd accessible within the link)- 

http://www.hidyochiai.org/hidy-ochiai/magazine-articles/

Edited by hamluis, 03 July 2018 - 02:28 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

Oh here it is ..... sometimes its hard to remember where a thread was you know ... anyhooooooo!!!!!!!!! PHEW!

I just figured to pop one in here like quickly because and no I won't drone on, BECAUSE!!! someone asked me the other day well last week about runs well rather HIKES and I just had to simply say that I try everyday some, you know not to break the bank or go crazy, just a bit you know.  BUt I aim for everyday, yes yes yes I know the sport jokers say every other day to give blah deeee blah blow it out your THAT's for young folks !  Again, just if your interested mind you, I myself try for everyday a bit of hiking / walking and it will work its way out with you .... in that some days I take a different route LIKE STRAIGHT UP THE HARDEST WAY to get to the top of a road or drive or mountain, then naturally I HAVE TO TAKE THE NEXT DAY OFF !

So, finally to conclude PHEW ! one just has to kind of keep at it, some days are good, some not, some days I'm a superstar, oh I have the ultra lights on no wonder! that was a joke but not really, that has happened.

RECAP: everyday, but you know that never happens but if you miss a day what the bleep HAY!

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#8 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:29 PM

Weight training, interval training, a good diet and an active lifestyle. Walk, swim, bicycle, canoe. I dance. I practice martial arts as well as yoga, tai chi and qigong.

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

I walk about 1 to 3 miles almost everyday, for both my mental and physical health.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:15 PM

@ kitsune

@SuperSapien

:thumbup2: :thumbup2:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#11 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

Yep , this really nails it, my Japanese friends were always saying it keeps you in a good mood yeaH!

I walk about 1 to 3 miles almost everyday, for both my mental and physical health.

Kitsune you go girl! WOW! ENERGY!!!!!!!!

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users