Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus/malware in win 7

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

Before you can boot from any 'live' (ie self-booting) Linux disc or USB you have to go into the Bios and make sure that either the CD/DVD driive or the USB drive is set first in the boot priority list. You usually - but not always - press either F2 or 'Del' while the boot screen is displaying. This should bring up the BIOS where you can check and, if necessary, change the boot priority order. Once you have changed this, if necessary, and while still in the BIOS open the CD drive if that is what you are going to use and put a Linux disc in  and close the drive. Exit BIOS, the system will re-boot and should boot from the Linux disc.

If it does boot it will do so without any reference to Windows, Linux is an OS in its own right, and ignores Windows !  Just do not at any time click 'Install' and it will run in RAM allowing you to recover any data you still have on the hard drive. And when you shut down, Linux will be gone.

When it comes to re-installing Windows there is no need for you to format anything, the install disc will do that as it runs.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:26 AM

i guess this isn't the best sort of problem to discuss here...or maybe its the vacation season kicking in, anyway thanx to all who'v assisted with there advice/time. its fixed now, just a bad strip of memory

#18 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

"...it's fixed now, just a bad strip of memory..." - superqaz -- thanks for that post!  You might have helped me solve my laptop problem.  I'm going to reseat both of my laptop's memory modules - and just maybe some quirkiness will be eliminated.  Of course, I will start a brand new thread if questions arise.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 July 2018 - 09:50 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users