Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus/malware in win 7

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:09 AM

hi

my win 7 pc is infected , even a so called computer guy gave up on it

over 3 days pc has gone through dozen of serious problems, current is that no program will open as explorer will stop every time, often blue screen of death. symptons change from day to day.

today it only starts in safe mode with no networking access. i have a mirror image of c: on a hd but cant access it with win pe or linux discs

im using a lap top with only a usb port  to write this

any help appreciated

thanx

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2018 - 02:56 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:21 AM

What was the Image you have created by ? and is it on an external Drive ?

If you have an Install Disc of Win 7 , reinstall that to a basic level , reinstall the Program that you used for the Image Creation and use the Image.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:23 AM

Your conclusion that the system is "infected"  hardly seems valid based on what you have posted.  Systems have problems for many reasons...with infection being just one of the possibilities.

Topic moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 7.

Please boot into Safe Mode With Networking...and do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 July 2018 - 09:24 AM.

#4 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

hi haveachat,

program was aomeii cant do anything in safe mode, what do ms call basic level as im not familiar WITH IT.

mirror image is on a usb ha/drive

HI HAMIUS

i will download as u suggest onto a usb drive and try to install it but , it probably wont let me as i cant open any programs 

trying to run mini tool box from usb stick i got error about "the memory could not be read"

i cant connect to internet so speccy link will be a p x 21 problem

sory cant paste speccyt info but:

win 7 sp1

athtlon64x2 56000plus

ram 3gb

232gb hard disks x2

dell m/boiardsoicket am2

usb h/disc 956 mb

optical drive

on sytrem disc 1 user and 1 partition which is for the os

hope that helps

thanx

Edited by superqaz, 01 July 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

Well...you are saying that you cannot provide any information about anything...yet you want to call it an "infection"...and you want someone to assist you with a "problem" for which you can only say that you cannot connect to the Internet...you cannot run programs...and you don't know if the origin of the "problem" lies with hardware, software, or malware?

That's asking a lot, in my world.

Clean install would be the only path that would make any sense, in my world.  Once that is attempted/completed...someone somewhere could begin to troubleshoot your issues, regardless of the nature of such.

Louis

#6 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

i did do all possible to provide requested information, pls see above, maybe i added to the post without seeing ur last message. pls look again nearly all the info is there

i actually say more than "i cant connect to internet". "over 3 days pc has gone through dozen of serious problems. current is that no program will open as explorer will stop every time, often blue screen of death. symptons change from day to day." including blue screen of death , memory, errors, sometime i can connect to internet, sometimes can read cd, nearly every program i try to open is corrupted file

unfortunately i cant afford to lose data by reformatting, would like to try aN GET THE MIRROR IMAGE BACK , ITS ON THE USB DISC, I JUST CANT GET MS win PE iso image TO RUN FROM THE CD

to illustrate i have internet now for first time today but  thunderbird is broken agaain and i can run a cd that ran yesterday

ive learned here that its not always good to volunteer info but much better to wait untill its requested, however as you to mention the lack of it as being a problem i should say that this all started with an official Fire fox update and shortly after a suspicious program which i thought was windows tweaking, called tweakbit. all installed programs had run well for several years

ur info as requested was typed in by hand , its above, if u cant use it maybe someone else can assist for which id be very grateful

i hope this will reinvigorate your desire to assist

thanks

Edited by superqaz, 01 July 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging.

Louis

#8 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

more has been added above

#9 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

more has been added above

#10 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

has

Edited by superqaz, 01 July 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#11 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

sorry test to see if it true my post was deleted by the mod as suggeste

Edited by superqaz, 01 July 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:40 PM

Nobody said your topic had been deleted, but it was moved twice to what, on each occasion, seemed more appropriate locations.

Both Havachat and Hamluis have said, in slightly different words, that about the only thing you can do to this computer is a full re-install of Win 7 using either an install disc or a USB. If you have the Win 7 install disc that will be the easier route. This will format the hard drive in the process and delete all data and applications. Since you say you have an image then this should not result in the loss of data.

However if there is important data not backed up on this computer then you need to recover it without installing a new copy of Windows. To do this, since you have access to a laptop I suggest that you download a copy of Linux Mint  from here -

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Since your computer has only 3GB of Ram it is probably runnng 32 bit Windows. Choose a 32 bit version of Mint as this will run on your hardware. Mint downloads as an ISO file which will need to be burnt to either a DVD or expanded to a USB drive. Windows computers from Win 7 on can expand and burn an ISO file to DVD through Windows Explorer (File manager in 8.1 and 10). To write it to a USB drive you need to use 'Rufus' which you can get here

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once you have the files either on a DVD or a memory stick boot the computer from whichever you use. You may need to go into the BIOS to set either DVD or USB first in the boot order, then let the Mint installer run through to the desktop. Do NOT click 'Install' at any point. So long as you don't install it, it will run entirely in RAM and you should be able, using Mint's file manager, to copy any wanted data to external storage.

Once you have your data safe, shut down the computer and then re-install Windows. Once you have Win 7 re-intalled you should be able to use your image to restore the computer to the condition it was in before this trouble started.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:14 AM

thanx for all the info and your attention

i did get a error msg saying topic may be deleted which i thought may have been Louis, but i also got error saying wasn't entitled to post when i was signed in

i can see that suggested route may be best but before i give up on repairing it could you confirm that the added info [where i couldn't gather it with suggested programs ] was actually read . because from what Louis said i dont think he saw it

you suggest using Mint however i have several linux discs including mint, as i think i  mentioned discs cant be read since the  problem or i would get the mirror image back.

do u know if theres a way to start linux or ms win pe from a disc after win7 has booted as sometimes i can open a disc that way, of would putting ms win pe on a usb stick have better chance of being read?

annoyingly i can sometimes get only some discs to work, but sofar not linux or win pe

if you can spare time to assist i need to exhaust all possibilities of reinstalling the image before i reinstall win 7

thanx

#14 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:05 AM

To save any Data before formatting or reinstalling Win 7 i would use a Linux Distro either on CD or USB and boot from it.

If you cant boot from a CD as you stated ....then you may have Hardware Issues to sort out first.

So try the booting from a USB with Linux Distro.

If those all fail on that system , pull the Drive out and Slave it to another working PC with  Linux to save any Data.

#15 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:32 AM

during win7 install i keep getting boot mgr missing, also i could only do a quick format, any ideas

right now ive only got one hd connected to sata 0 port is that correct

how can i format the disk with nothing on it , do u know

thanx

Edited by superqaz, 02 July 2018 - 05:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users