Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drives not useable after last Win update

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:57 PM

I just noticed today that my external drive was not showing up on the tree. I ejected it and tried to reinsert. It would not even make a sound of being docked. Now this is a SD card reader but I have tried different externals (mobius camera, memory stick) and none seem to be accessible most of the time. If they do pop up they act crazy.Start running something but it's never ending and cannot be stopped except for a forced shutdown.

Anybody else seeing this?

Sudsy

Edited by sudsy, 30 June 2018 - 10:31 PM.

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

I just noticed today that my external drive was not showing up on the tree.

What type of drive was this, hdd, ssd, other?

Assuming this is a USB connected card reader, have you tried different USB ports or checked in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons showing?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

It first became apparent with the built in (yet still usb) card reader. I saw it had ejected by bumping it (always happens) and when I reseated it and tried to open properties when I selected "readyboost" it said it was "clearing my cache". This was unending. The only way to stop it is a forced stop. I also can't seem to down load videos from my digital cameras. I have a usb mouse plugged into the only usb port I didn't test but all others do work.

I  checked Device Manager no warnings.

Sudsy

Edited by sudsy, 01 July 2018 - 01:42 PM.

UFO pilot

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

sudsy:

In addition to what Dan has asked, my experience with my Renesas USB 3.0 ports and USB3.0 external drives on my desktop computer is that each version update of Windows 10 substitutes generic Windows 10 drivers for my 2011 Renesas drivers, and reduces the speed down to USB 2 levels.  I have to reinstall my old 2011 Renesas drivers to reacquire USB 3 speeds on my USB 3 ports.

So I would check the Device Manager, as Dan suggested, and see if you might have a "new" generic Microsoft driver for your SD card reader.  If you can locate and download the appropriate driver, then you can inform Windows to update the driver, via the Device Manager, and tell it that you have a driver, and then browse to the correct driver that you downloaded and install it.  It is important that you reboot to see if it works.

Just a thought, because it took me awhile, and assistance from Maingear (my computer manufacturer), to figure out why each Windows 10 version update was wreaking havoc with my Renesas USB 3.0 host/hub controller drivers.  Hopefully Microsoft will fix this nuisance.  In the meantime, I have the old 2011 Renesas drivers backed up to external media so that I can easily "recover" from the damage inflicted by future Windows 10 version updates.

I hope that this information might be helpful.  Have a great day, and good luck.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

Well I did find an updated driver for the Realtek PCID (sp) and downloaded and installed it. This is an MCI machine and is supposed to have three usb 2.0 ports and one usb 3.0 port. All seem to be working .

I tried to again use the built in with the same results. Going to dinner. ReadyBoost is running and I again can''t stop the ReadyBoost is configuring your cache function. I am going to let it run.

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

Just a thought, because it took me awhile, and assistance from Maingear (my computer manufacturer), to figure out why each Windows 10 version update was wreaking havoc with my Renesas USB 3.0 host/hub controller drivers.  Hopefully Microsoft will fix this nuisance.  In the meantime, I have the old 2011 Renesas drivers backed up to external media so that I can easily "recover" from the damage inflicted by future Windows 10 version updates.

This happens even when you tell Windows 10 to not update third party drivers?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

#7 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

Ok, I am not sure if we have a resolution yet or not so I want to keep this item open. This has somehow triggered some windows updates. Some indications say updates failed. In researching ReadyBoost and running it on a gaming PC with WIN 10 I am no longer trying to run it. I am out of town and will be up sporatticly. Going to be trying to watch videos that normally work for me. 

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#8 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

JohnC_21:

Yes, each Windows 10 version update replaces my USB drivers and changes my selection not to permit Windows Update to update the drivers on the computer.  I always have that turned off because otherwise Windows 10 endlessly tries to update my HP printer driver.

It is a real nuisance, these Windows 10 version updates, since I really never use any of the fancy bells and whistles that they incorporate.  It usually takes some time for me to get my computer back in the working order that I like after each Windows 10 version update.  The version updates like to turn off and delete my Restore Points, among other behaviors that I personally consider undesirable!

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#9 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

No resolution yet. Doing system restore now. Second run with Malwarebytes disabled this time. All USB ports acting crazy. I formatted an sd card in a camera. Tried to watch videos but date, time and files show as being corrupt. I get a warning when I try to plug any kind of drive into any USB port.
UFO pilot

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

What is the exact warning message?

#11 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

I am not getting one specific warning. If I restart the PC the SD card is recognized. I was even able to format one 32 G mini SD an using the adapter (I have a couple here to use) but after I eject the SD card and try to insert another or even the same one and the PC doesn't recognize the drive. This is happening with all the usb ports yet my wireless mouse works just fine from any port.

System restore never was successful. Even after I disabled WIN Defender and Malwarebytes.

Edited by sudsy, 02 July 2018 - 02:59 PM.

UFO pilot

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:27 PM

We had a drive fail recently upon 1803 Upgrade, don't know if it applies, but it seems that it may cause problems with external drives.  If possible remove all externals upon Upgrades.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

Well it seems a little late now to remove external drives during updates. This has caused problems with SD cards that weren't in the machine during updates.

Is there a fix?

Sudsy

UFO pilot

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

Remove all USB external drivers drives. Download DeviceCleanupCmd. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In that folder is a folder called X64. Copy that folder to the root of C:\

Open a command prompt and type the following commands.

cd c:\X64
devicecleanupcmd.exe *

This will delete all non-present devices on the computer. Reboot. Attach a USB flash drive or SD card. Do you still get the same problem?

devicecleanupcmd.zip

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 July 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#15 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

I'm confused. How do I remove all the usb drivers? Is this done within Device Manager? And a command prompt, is this the same "start-run"?

Sudsy

UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users