Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot screen required... why.......?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Omega Knight

Omega Knight

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:32 PM

I'm not sure whether this should go in the OS or hardware section... Sorry if it's in the wrong location.

I only recently got my AC working again in my PC room. Not quick enough, it seems... With the heat wave hitting Michigan hard, I managed to overheat my PC enough that it had to be shut down. What bothers me, is that, for whatever reason, I have to go to the boot menu, and tell it to boot from the C drive, or it won't recognize having one... Any notion of what went fubar on me, and how to fix it so it'll load to the C drive every time again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Omega Knight

Omega Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

Well, that was odd... Someone suggested that I go into the BIOS and check out the boot options. I went in, and boot option one was set to ethernet. No clue why it did that, but after some attempts, I managed to convince it to boot to the hard drive instead... Problem, it seems, is solved. Love to know why it did that in the first place, though.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:14 AM

It's possible that the CMOS backup battery is just on the edge of not being able to preserve the BIOS settings. Hot conditions affect batteries too - usually this battery is a CR2032 lithium button cell in a holder on the mainboard. Replacing it might stop a similar thing from happening again at some point, as the batteries do have a limited life span.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users