Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to switch settings to new administrator account?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

Hi, I want to create a new administrator account but keep my settings and profiles for firefox, thunderbird, utorrent, skype, comodo, wmp. Which is the easiest way to do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

Since those are all applications I would do a web search for each to see how it can export the settings/profile you wish to keep and how said export can be imported.

I do not think you're going to have any hope of carrying all of these things over wholesale, but will have to attend to each individually.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:18 PM

Since those are all applications I would do a web search for each to see how it can export the settings/profile you wish to keep and how said export can be imported.

I do not think you're going to have any hope of carrying all of these things over wholesale, but will have to attend to each individually.

I was afraid it may be so. I was just hoping there might be a way to move everything. See, I would like to do an exact copy of my old profile and then delete the old one and keep only the new. This has been my only profile until now and all software has been installed for all users. Is there anything else I should keep in mind during this transfer?

Oh, and something else. In the lists of profiles there is a folder called Default.migrated which contains empty folders. Do I need it or I can safely delete it? Thanks for your help.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

May I ask why in the world you're doing this?

Unless you have Windows 10 profile corruption this seems like an utterly unnecessary exercise.

Also, in regard to Firefox, at least, if you're using the sync function and have a Firefox account all your settings come right along with you, anywhere, when you log in to Firefox Sync again on another instance of Firefox.  I don't know whether Thunderbird might now include a similar cloud component or not, and I don't run it on this machine.

I can't say anything about Default.migrated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

May I ask why in the world you're doing this?

Unless you have Windows 10 profile corruption this seems like an utterly unnecessary exercise.

Also, in regard to Firefox, at least, if you're using the sync function and have a Firefox account all your settings come right along with you, anywhere, when you log in to Firefox Sync again on another instance of Firefox.  I don't know whether Thunderbird might now include a similar cloud component or not, and I don't run it on this machine.

I can't say anything about Default.migrated.

I know, weird gymnastics.

Several months ago after a windows update, IE will not start unless ran as administrator. I looked all over for a solution, many had the same problem, but no fix.

Then I realized it runs alright in a new profile. I was hoping a new windows update would fix the IE issue, but nope. I hate I have to do this but it seems easier than re-installing windows. That is the only reason.

I don't understand why windows 10 doesn't have the option to download and re-install IE and I 've tried disabling and re-enabling, set it to defaults, remove addons and other crazy mostly generic suggestions that microsoft had to offer.

Why not ditch it altogether? I use it as secondary browser for things I cannot do sometimes with ff, and I hate to load more software when I could do what I needed with it.

Edge I don't like, so now I have two useless browsers. If I could completely remove them off the system I would go for another one, but having four browsers in my system is too much (for me).

Edited by Ket, 30 June 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:51 PM

Well, all I can say to you is that you should thank your lucky stars (in a way) that this has occurred to IE.   It is on death's door, and will only get closer as the months and years pass.

Were I you I would download Chrome for use as your secondary browser if you like Firefox as your primary.   I use both on a constant basis with certain sites always open in Firefox and others, including this one, in Chrome.

I use Edge as my tertiary browser when I want what I term a "naked browser," no add-ons/extensions involved whatsoever.  IE is my quaternary because it's just getting way too long in the tooth and is barely being maintained.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Well, all I can say to you is that you should thank your lucky stars (in a way) that this has occurred to IE.   It is on death's door, and will only get closer as the months and years pass.

Were I you I would download Chrome for use as your secondary browser if you like Firefox as your primary.   I use both on a constant basis with certain sites always open in Firefox and others, including this one, in Chrome.

I use Edge as my tertiary browser when I want what I term a "naked browser," no add-ons/extensions involved whatsoever.  IE is my quaternary because it's just getting way too long in the tooth and is barely being maintained.

I use IE as the "naked" one. FF has some issues with printing. Also I use ublock and other addons that sometimes interfere with something very simple I have to do, like filling up an online application for example, and I just do it on IE.

IE still runs Java that is required sometimes from some sites.

Anyway, we all have our habits and ways and I like to follow the "if it ain't broken" attitude. But now it is broken and maybe I should berry it. Even microsoft, that has been imposing it since ever, is giving up on IE. That should mean something, I suppose. But they have a way to drive us to the edge, pun intended!

I may reconsider and get safari or something. Thanks a lot for the advice.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

I don't care if it's Microsoft, or another software vendor, once they tell me that something has been deprecated and that I should seek out alternatives that's precisely what I do, and sooner rather than later so that the transition can occur at my desired pace, rather than in a rush.

The writing has been on the wall for IE and the classic "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" for a long time now.  Thus, I've moved on.

I understand hanging on to the familiar as we all do that.  With regard to IE the time has come to let go whether it works perfectly or not.  There are already a raft of websites that will not "allow admission" under IE11.

I never use my favored browser or browsers as my "naked" one, hence the reason that Edge fulfills that role now.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:40 AM

Hi, if all you need to do is run IE as administrator go to windows accessories, right click on Internet explorer and select "send to" send it to desktop as a shortcut. Locate the shortcut on the desktop and right click it, select "properties" then towards the bottom right select "advanced", put a check in "run as administrator" and OK out. Opening IE this way opens it as admin.

#10 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

Hi, if all you need to do is run IE as administrator go to windows accessories, right click on Internet explorer and select "send to" send it to desktop as a shortcut. Locate the shortcut on the desktop and right click it, select "properties" then towards the bottom right select "advanced", put a check in "run as administrator" and OK out. Opening IE this way opens it as admin.

Thanks for the tip. I wonder though if it is safe to run IE always as an administrator.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

My main concern would be anything that would move your application settings would also move your problem to the new profile.  I believe the backing up of your settings on a per application basis will be your best option.  Since you'll be using an Admin account you could set up the new account and copy the data you need from the old account and then delete or disable once you have everything working the way you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users