Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide Controller?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Judi_e

Judi_e

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:31 PM

So, about 6 months ago my father in law bought an old computer. Just a couple weeks ago he finally decided to get online, so he called his cable company and ordered their internet service. They had to install a network card for him, and when they tried to get him up and running they discovered that he had Windows 98 first edition, and needed Second Edition. So we got him SE and installed it over the old installation, and then we couldn't get hooked up to the internet. The cable company was just about useless, cuz they haven't worked with 98 in so long they didn't know what to do. So my husband went back over there today to format and reinstall Win98SE.

OK, now he's got the internet working, but apparently the video adapter isn't working right. It's an ATI Rage 128 Pro, and he downloaded the driver from ATI and it won't work, says it won't work with the adapter. That's problem # 1. The Device Manager is calling this a standard PCI graphics adapter.

There are other things showing up in the device manager as not working properly. After taking the side cover off my husband says there's a PCI card in there hooked up to the hard drive, he can see it says Ultra, and ATA 166 maybe. So I go looking around and find out it's an IDE controller. Never encountered one of those before, but he can't figure out who the manufacturer is. The generic driver the computer installed is working well enough that the computer works, although a little slow, but it's showing up in the device manager with a yellow exclaimation mark.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Never mind. It looks like we got it all figured out. Trying to fix someone's computer through Yahoo messenger sucks!

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Years ago there was an upgrade cd available to upgrade 98 to SE.
Installing Windows clean is always the preferred way to go in the long run though.

In your case it is just a matter of installing the correct drivers for the devices which should be easy enough to find. However, if you do not install the right ones it wont work correctly. Proper identification is important.

For example drivers for your ATI Rage 128 Pro video card might need additional motherboard recources, like the VIA 4 in 1 drivers to be installed first. Additionally, the ATI drivers for your video card from the ATI website may not work with the same make/model of the card in a branded comuter.

Need to know more about the system. Is it a branded unit? IE Dell HP Compaq etc and if so what is the model #?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

Looks like you beat me too it by minutes.
Glad you got it sorted out!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:54 AM

Download Everest Home Version V1.51 from oldversion.com (in the utilities section)

Be sure to get V1.51 as it is the last freeware version of Everest that has the software module which is extremely useful.

It will identify all hardware and software installed on your computer with links to many of the manufacturers to get drivers and support.

#6 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:11 AM

Eyesee,

Thanks anyway. We were able to determine what everything was and find the drivers. Had some trouble with the video card, the setup program provided with the drivers didn't work, but we were able to install it through the Device Manager, so it all worked out. My poor husband worked on that computer for 9 1/2 hours yesterday, he's glad it's working, but told his dad that if anything else goes wrong he really ought to just buy a new computer!

Enthusiast,

I ran across Everest last night, but by that time I didn't need it. With Everest detect the brand and model of hardware installed even if the proper drivers aren't installed? That would have been a huge help earlier in the day....eh, oh well, we'll know next time.....or, hopefully there won't be a next time.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:49 AM

Yes, it will.

It is a great tool to have and you will find it useful in many situations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users