Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts down if I stop working for 1-2 minutes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 stillanovice

stillanovice

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

Hello!

All was well until last evening.  I work on the laptop and can do stuff no problem.  If I walk away and there is inactivity for about 1 minute, the laptop sort of shuts down.  It used to be that I could just touch the track pad and the laptop would "wake up."  Now, this morning, I have to actually hit the power button to get it going again.  When it comes back to life, I have to sign back onto the laptop, then I'm right back where I was (online) with the same tabs as before.

It's probably an easy fix, but I'm at a loss.  :)  Can anyone help me on this?  I appreciate any responses!

Edited by britechguy, 30 June 2018 - 10:42 AM.
Moved to MRA based on follow-up information provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

it is going to sleep.....

go into your control panel and check if its set to go to sleep after X mins

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

It is an easy fix if what I suspect has happened has happened.

First, open Control Panel, Power Options, then activate the "Change Plan Settings" link for whatever power plan you're using.  I will bet that the "Put the computer to sleep" setting has been set to something ridiculously low.

Then open Settings, Accounts, Sign-In Options Pane and look at the first entry, "Require sign-in" and make sure it's set to "Never."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

Ok, well I thought it might be something like that.  What do you consider "ridiculously low?"  I'm the only person who uses this laptop, and I've not touched the settings.  I went in and it's set up as:  on battery, turn off screen after 10 minutes and laptop after four hours; when plugged in, turn off screen after 15 minutes and laptop never.    

At this point, I can't even walk away and heat up a cup of coffee in the microwave before this thing shuts down :(

P.S. This is a Windows 10

Edited by stillanovice, 30 June 2018 - 10:09 AM.

#5 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:33 AM

Now something else has come up - I just saved a clipart image to my desktop.  I went to the desktop to retrieve the image to put into irfanview and the windows that opened as I was going through the process didn't have complete drop down menus.  What I mean is the menu drops down, but there are no words.  What the heck?!  Could I have a virus that's doing this weird stuff?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,632 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

The answer to your last question is, "Yes, definitely."

The behaviors you describe, given the checks you've done already, strongly suggest an infection of some sort.  I will move this topic to the correct forum for that sort of issue so you don't have to retype what you've already offered.  You should definitely get some guidance about doing an "exorcism/disinfection" on your machine as the first order of business, and I'm not the one to provide that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

Ok, thanks very much!

Edited by stillanovice, 30 June 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#8 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

#9 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,921 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Download the version of this tool for your operating system.
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "more reply Options" button.
attachlogs.png

Attach the file.
Select the "Choose a File" navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file you wish to Attach.
Click Attach this file.
Click the Add reply button.
===

Please post the logs for my review.

p.s.
One question, it the computer on the Battery or on AC Power?

#10 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

I have an answer to your last question.  I'm embarassed to say I ignored it until just now!

All day yesterday, I kept a tab open to youtube to keep activity going on the screen so it wouldn't shut down and it worked! 

This morning the laptop was unplugged, and I suddenly realized that I was on my email, but had walked away for about 15 minutes and the laptop hadn't shut down.  I plugged it in and within 2 minutes, it shut down.

I'll hold off on the Farbar instructions until you see this message.  Thanks!

#11 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,921 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Hi,

This looks like a Power issue.

Run the Farbar program and Post both logs.
I will review them.

One thing you can try is power off the computer.
Remove the battery from the computer.
Plug the power back on.
How is it.

#12 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,921 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

Are you still with me?

Hi,

If all is well.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide best security practices keep safe.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet.
===

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users