Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Letgo And dangerous permissions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

I found something on my Android that I had never seen before. I have been using Letgo for some time now but never saw this:

Google-Connected Apps
project-154653447684

My Files- Apps-
com.abtnprojects.ambatana

I Google the file name, and according to Hackapps.com it has dangerous permissions in that it shares my phone data and info with other apps.
I uninstalled the Letgo app until I determine if this is actually a dangerous app. Is Hackapps.com reliable? Can anyone advise me on this? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,343 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

Well, you're going to have to be more specific about just which Letgo app you're referring to, as at least two with only that name show up in the Google Play store.

The one listed with "letgo" as the author has permissions I would not allow on my device, particularly the one for "create accounts and set passwords."

It always pays to look at the "View Details" link that's now available for any app on the Play Store.  Good developers will also generally include a section in their description section outlining why permissions you might not expect to see are being asked for.   I wish it were a requirement under the "View Details" that each and every permission asked for would require a corresponding "Why" column that was mandatory for the developer to fill out.

The way Google has set up permissions has the oddest variation in granularity I've ever seen.  Certain things are cut into categories that are thinner than hair thin while others, that should be further subdivided for clarity, require a developer to ask for far broader permissions than they actually need [and the good ones note that in their descriptions, too] just to get at one tiny thing that's part of that overly-broad permission.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

This is too wierd. This is a new phone and I have not yet installed Letgo, but is is in Settings under Google. I deleted the app and the file in two places. That should cover it. Used to be only one Letgo app so for that reason I never double checked it. I looked and saw the difference in the two. With all the fake apps, I should not be so complacent. Thanks for pointing it out!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,343 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

If this is a brand new device, and you haven't dedicated too much time to customization (or have, but know how to repeat it relatively quickly), I would do a factory reset and see if this shows up again.

I have never seen an app by that name appear by default under preinstalled apps linked to Google.  It is weird.

Doing the factory reset would at least let you know whether the device is being shipped that way or may have been tampered with (or just played with) by someone at some point and put back in the box.  These days most devices with a built-in battery don't ship with a completely uncharged battery and anyone could have brief access in a store when just looking at the thing.

But what is strange is I'd think there'd have to be a pre-existing account related to the device for any of the above to happen, and you'd have noticed that.

Still, if you're game, try factory resetting.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users