Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I access my integrated ram in addition to my ram sticks?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sacrifice

Sacrifice

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

Can I access my integrated ram that my motherboard has built in? Currently I have one 2 gb ram stick and one 1gb ram stick I noticed i'm only getting 3gb ram use. However my computer has 2gb integrated ram in the motherboard. 

I'm running windows 7 64 bit home premium sp1, 3gb ram, with NVIDIA 7600 GT GPU

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01287561

this is my exact computer

I noticed it also says "*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed."

which I don't understand why considering some computers have two GPU I assume cause it's an older computer... is there any way around this to get benefit for the integrated gpu/ram?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:09 PM

What makes you think...that there is "integrated RAM"?

System specs state that there is one regular DIMM installed with a new system.

What makes you think that the system has 3GB RAM installed?

Louis

#3 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

What makes you think...that there is "integrated RAM"?

System specs state that there is one regular DIMM installed with a new system.

What makes you think that the system has 3GB RAM installed?

Louis

it had 2gb ram before i installed 3gb ram it had no ram sticks, nor a gpu and it had video and ram

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

The mainboard for that system has no onboard RAM.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01357119

If the system has RAM without DIMMs fitted to the memory slots, it has a different mainboard fitted compared to specification.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

The mainboard for that system has no onboard RAM.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01357119

If the system has RAM without DIMMs fitted to the memory slots, it has a different mainboard fitted compared to specification.

is it possible then that the computer was usable with no ram ? 

because we've had this computer since 2007 and it never had ram or a gpu installed until recently and it has always worked fine

only recently installed the ram and gpu into it how might i go about finding the correct motherboard if that is incorrect 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Specs will list the motherboard.

Motherboard specs.

If you want more detail on the board currently installed...you might try following the directions for posting a Speccy Snapshot.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,446 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

because we've had this computer since 2007 and it never had ram or a gpu installed until recently and it has always worked fine

only recently installed the ram and gpu into it how might i go about finding the correct motherboard if that is incorrect 

Here a suggestion.

Remove the side cover and physically remove the memory sticks that are installed in the 2 slots (based on the link you posted) and then power up the computer and you will find your answer as to any integrated motherboard memory.

I believe what you are confused with is the integrated onboard graphics adapter uses / shares some of the system memory.

Based on the links you posted in post # 1 it appears to have 2 slots for system memory sticks which is shared by integrated motherboard graphics adapter and without any memory installed your computer will not post or boot and will only beep.

Remove the side cover and physically take a look at the motherboard and somewhere there will be several sets of numbers and one of those sets of numbers should be the motherboard model number,

Edited by The-Toolman, 02 July 2018 - 02:11 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zxHJ7Q6HaYEClOwCYyKXI1F

Here a suggestion.

Remove the side cover and physically remove the memory sticks that are installed in the 2 slots (based on the link you posted) and then power up the computer and you will find your answer as to any integrated motherboard memory.

I believe what you are confused with is the integrated onboard graphics adapter uses / shares some of the system memory.

Based on the links you posted in post # 1 it appears to have 2 slots for system memory sticks which is shared by integrated motherboard graphics adapter and without any memory installed your computer will not post or boot and will only beep.

Remove the side cover and physically take a look at the motherboard and somewhere there will be several sets of numbers and one of those sets of numbers should be the motherboard model number,

Yeah, that's the thing that got me curious to make this thread as I was trying to remove the ram sticks a few days ago attempting to achieve a different goal, I was greeted with constant beeps on startup which with a little google searching tells me what you're telling me the computer has no ram so therefore it cannot start or it has junk ram that's no longer good

However, I did not try removing the gpu and the ram together and turning it on, the thing that gets me is I turned this computer on without ram and without a gpu inserted and it ran just fine......it doesn't make any sense

I will open the case and try to find the motherboard model number as you have suggested 

Edited by Sacrifice, 02 July 2018 - 08:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users