Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

two year old Samsung 850 EVO SSD suddenly will not boot

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 funlover

funlover

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

this morning windows wouldnt boot and i couldnt access setup or anything else. i have 2 more SATA internal drives.  i unhooked the SSD and windows booted up from one of the other drives that i had previusly used as main drive but was just using for storage.

i then hooked the SSD back up to see if i could access it but it doesnt show up in explorer. my question is, does anyone know why it would die after 2 years. also any suggestions as to how i might access the drive.  i had documents and photos on other drives but i had a  lot of  text docs on desktop. im having trouble typing and was using Dragon before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

The drive may not be dead even though it does not show in explorer. Boot your good SSD drive with the bad Evo attached. Open Disk Management. Right click Computer  > Manage > Disk Management. Is the drive listed and how is it shown? It may be listed as RAW or not initialized. 

#3 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

thanks so much for your help.. you are right, it is there..it has taken me so long because i am trying to figure out which drive is which.  i have 5 drives because i have 2 external drives also.

funny thing is they all say healthy? so what could have happened

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

It shows in Disk Management as healthy but not in explorer, correct? I would detach the external drives. 

Can you post a screenshot of the Evo in disk management?

Also open a command prompt, type the following commands.

list disk

select disk X   Where X is the number associated with your Evo that is not detected in explorer

detail disk

Post a screenshot.

#5 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

actually it is showing in explorer now? i attached both screenshots

Attached File  Snap 2018-06-29 at 20.49.49.jpg   75.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Snap 2018-06-29 at 20.50.29.jpg   128.15KB   0 downloads

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

Which disk is the EVO?

I only see one drive that has the boot partition, Disk 1 and Disk 1 doesn't seem to have the correct partition structure. For a Windows 7 or 10 MBR disk there should be a 100MB System Reserved Partition marked active but the active partition on Disk 1 is your Windows partition which will work but is not an optimal way of creating the partitions. You have a 100MB partition on Disk 1 but it's unallocated.

#7 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

can you tell which one is the SSD drive? i did detach the 2 external drives. if the SSD would work again, i would like it to be my windows drive

````````````

#8 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

actually it is the last drive, don't know what i was thinking:)

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

If the drive is E: then I don't see how it can boot. It's marked active but it looks like the required files are missing. E: should be like C:, showing System, Active, boot,etc. I would recommend you backup your data on E: and reinstall the OS if possible.

What OS is on the EVO? What is the make and model of the Computer? Do you know if the computer has UEFI firmware or a legacy BIOS?

If you reinstall the OS on E: I would detach Disk 1, your 1TB drive. After the install of the OS I would mark the C: partition on Disk 1 as not active to avoid a conflict with the EVO SSD.

#10 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

it is E and how could the files just disappear? It worked fine yesterday.

What OS is on the EVO? What is the make and model of the Computer? Do you know if the computer has UEFI firmware or a legacy BIOS?

the computer is one i put together.  the OS is Windows 7 Home 64 bit on both drives

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3P 

Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F6 11/14/2008

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

If E: is shown in explorer you cannot access it and see the files? 

#12 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

yes i was able to.  thanks for your time this evening.  i will post again tomorrow.  in the morning, i am going to try to boot to the SSD again.  if i can't do you think i will try to reinstall the OS again.

I

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

Okay, it's getting late for me also. Will check the thread tomorrow. 

Note: See this guide on doing a clean install of Windows 7. When done correctly you will have a 100MB System Reserved Partition on the SSD.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

You should also enable TRIM on the clean Windows 7 install which I surmise you already know.

#14 funlover

funlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

i detached my other drives and this time the SSD started right up.  any ideas what could have caused this? i installed it in dec 2015 and have not had any other problems. 

thanks again John for all your help.  i am in the process of making sure i have everything backed up and then i will do a clean install. i have been reading the guide and it will be a big help.  also i don't remember if Trim is enabled, but i will make sure this time.

how do i  mark the C: partition on Disk 1 as not active to avoid a conflict with the EVO SSD?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

Maybe there is an issue with the PSU if the SSD fired right up after detaching the drives or as I posted it could be a conflict because of the other drive being marked active. 

You can use the Windows 7 install disk to mark the other drive as not active. Once you boot the SSD after a clean install and confirm everything is good. Shutdown and attach the 1TB drive that is marked active.

Boot your Windows 7 install disk and at the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type:

list disk

select disk X    Where X is the number associated with your 1TB Windows disk. You have 2 1TB disks so to confirm which it is you will need to do the following

list partition      If you see a partition of approx 901GB you have the correct disk. You can confirm with the next commands.

select partition X

detail partition       You will see data showing the partition as active.

The command to mark the partition as not active is 

inactive

You can confirm the command took by typing 

detail partition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users