Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Build List for MS Office & Web Browsing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GameMaster

GameMaster

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

Hello!

I'm building a PC for my parents for office work. They normally use a web browser, Microsoft Office, and MS Paint (pretty hefty workload, huh? :wink:). They have a HP Pavillion p6520y now which has a sporadic issue I was trying to work on. I can't figure out the problem after hours of work, so new PC it is.

So, after some research, this is what I came up with.

Here are the reasons for the parts I chose:

i3-8100 (CPU): It's roughly 2x faster than their AMD Athlon II X4 635 according to a comparison I did on userbenchmark (idk if this is a good site or not, opinion seems pretty split). I originally was going with an i5 for vPro, but I don't think I'll ever use vPro, so I don't want my parents to spend money unnecessarily. A local Microcenter has it for $109.99.

MSI - B360M PRO-VDH (motherboard): has USB Type C and a good set of ports and expansion options.

RAM: Replace it with whatever is cheapest but has fair speed at Microcenter. It's basically a placeholder.

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD (storage): My parents hardly use any storage space. They'd probably be fine with a 250GB SSD, but they want a 1TB since that's the capacity of their hard drive now. It's their money and there's a deal, so whatever makes them happy. $197.99 at Microcenter.

Windows 10 Pro Retail (OS): I have Windows 10 Home and I've been getting fed up with how I can't access certain utilities to disable some things, so I feel like Pro is a safer bet and it will let me remote access into their computer from college without a 3rd party program. I picked retail over OEM because OEM has certain license restrictions on who can use it and it can't be transferred between computers. I'd rather just get retail to avoid that.

I'll probably transfer the DVD writer from my parent's HP to the new build. It still works.

If anyone has any ideas for substitutes for the parts above or case/PSU suggestions, please let me know. Ideally, I'll get all the parts at Microcenter. But Fry's is nearby too. As a last resort, I can order online.

My parents think my Fractal Design Define R4 case is gigantic, so I was thinking about a smaller micro-atx case. It is going to fit in an alcove on their desk. There's no reason for a window. It's probably going to face the desk alcove's wall anyway. Their current HP fits fine.

As for a PSU, I've been having trouble sifting through current PSU teardown reviews to see what's quality and what's not. If someone has a specific model that got good ratings that they know of, please let me know.

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

Are you taking PC partpicker lists?

because we could suggest you far better hardware but at low cost.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#3 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Are you taking PC partpicker lists?

because we could suggest you far better hardware but at low cost.

Sure! That would be great! Please keep in mind that I put some of these parts together because of Microcenter deals (the i3-8100 and a motherboard yields a $30 off deal. The AMD Ryzen 2200G does not, afaik).

Thanks.

EDIT: I posted a PCPartPicker link of the build I made in the original post. Just wanted to make sure you didn't accidentally miss it. :)

Edited by GameMaster, 29 June 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:43 PM

As you'll know, the requirements of browsing the web and using MS Office aren't very high and pretty much any modern computer will do the job.  I'm not then going to say you should get this or that instead, as it's reasonable and it'll do the job just fine.  You could if you wanted to make it cheaper go for something like a Pentium Gold G5400 and it would still handle those tasks very comfortably IMO.  If they are the type to have 100's of browser windows open at the same time, loads of documents, etc. then 16 Gb might be an idea, but for average use 8 Gb is more than enough.

When I was looking to build a small form factor PC last year I considered using the case in this build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J38LyX - which uses a TFX power supply.  Here I've added an FSP 300w 80+ Bronze PSU, which would no doubt be sufficient, but at the time I was looking I think Seasonic also had some that were readily available.  With extremely low power draws in normal usage for a PC like this, I think as long as it's from a quality maker it should be OK...

If you want to get a more standard case with ATX PSU, then Thermaltake do some reasonably compact ones like the Core V21 cube case, although to some extent what it gives up in height, it gains in width...

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:57 PM

The v21 is a very good case, a bit wide but dang is it a good case from what i hear.

I almost went with it for my build

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

Just curious...why have you decided to build a system...when all of the user experience has been with an OEM purchase?

As stated...the mundane tasks to be performed on the system...do not call for anything that might presume to be a reason for customizing a system via personal build.

Louis

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

Perhaps but if they could get good deals at microcenter it would be better than a pre built.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

As you'll know, the requirements of browsing the web and using MS Office aren't very high and pretty much any modern computer will do the job.  I'm not then going to say you should get this or that instead, as it's reasonable and it'll do the job just fine.  You could if you wanted to make it cheaper go for something like a Pentium Gold G5400 and it would still handle those tasks very comfortably IMO.  If they are the type to have 100's of browser windows open at the same time, loads of documents, etc. then 16 Gb might be an idea, but for average use 8 Gb is more than enough.

When I was looking to build a small form factor PC last year I considered using the case in this build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J38LyX - which uses a TFX power supply.  Here I've added an FSP 300w 80+ Bronze PSU, which would no doubt be sufficient, but at the time I was looking I think Seasonic also had some that were readily available.  With extremely low power draws in normal usage for a PC like this, I think as long as it's from a quality maker it should be OK...

If you want to get a more standard case with ATX PSU, then Thermaltake do some reasonably compact ones like the Core V21 cube case, although to some extent what it gives up in height, it gains in width...

I'll definitely look into those recommendations. Thank you! I didn't even think about Pentiums. Although, they do like to do a lot of multitasking and keep windows open. As for RAM, they do fine with 6GB right now, but I thought I might as well get them 8GB. That would leave room for a 16GB upgrade later if it was really necessary.

Just curious...why have you decided to build a system...when all of the user experience has been with an OEM purchase?

As stated...the mundane tasks to be performed on the system...do not call for anything that might presume to be a reason for customizing a system via personal build.

Louis

The way HP has done some things has bothered me. For example, it is impossible to update the BIOS without Windows 7 and their program that runs in the OS. We looked into getting a pre-built and I was about to buy a HP ProDesk with them, but the amount of proprietary connectors is astonishingly bad. I'd rather have them get something that can easily be repaired. Also, while there are some desktops without proprietary parts, my parents really want that 1TB SSD capacity and I couldn't find a pre-built that had that with non-high end parts. It's more of convenience and want than need.

#9 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

I looked into the G5400. It performs worse than a Ryzen 3 2200G, so I think I'll stick with the i3-8100 just for that little more boost of power. I'll keep the case and that form factor in mind, though.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

Please keep in mind however if you're looking at say gaming benchmarks or something like that those are not really a true test of a processors capability and benchmarks can only go so far and telling you how well a system will perform in real life. You would be surprised how good some of those lower end processors can be

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#11 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:46 PM

Please keep in mind however if you're looking at say gaming benchmarks or something like that those are not really a true test of a processors capability and benchmarks can only go so far and telling you how well a system will perform in real life. You would be surprised how good some of those lower end processors can be

Will do. I was looking at 7-zip compression and Excel benchmarks. My parents aren't planning to play games anytime soon on their computer. LOL. When I take off $30 for the motherboard and CPU bundle, the price gap between the i3-8100 and the g5400 is tiny.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:48 PM

Too true as Micro Center does have bundle deals like that how do you think I have my set up for? Was actually cheaper to buy the ryzen 7 1700 then the 1600 actually LOL

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

My 2c Consider a factory refurbed Dell with a one year warranty, save a lot of hassle!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,883 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 11:31 AM

Also, as an aside, if you need to remote in to a computer Quick Assist, which comes with Win10 (at least Home & Pro and probably all), works spectacularly well.

There is now no need for third party software for virtually any task for which I've needed remote access to a computer also running Win10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#15 GameMaster

GameMaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Okay, so after some talking with people in an IRC channel, I came up with this

Also, as an aside, if you need to remote in to a computer Quick Assist, which comes with Win10 (at least Home & Pro and probably all), works spectacularly well.

There is now no need for third party software for virtually any task for which I've needed remote access to a computer also running Win10.

Yeah. I think it requires Windows 10 Pro. But that might just be for the person wanting to connect. Regardless, I think it's probably a good idea for them to get Pro just because there's some helpful utilities when I might want to disable some features (like Cortana).

My 2c Consider a factory refurbed Dell with a one year warranty, save a lot of hassle!

I'm already working on building one. But, thank you for your suggestion. I did look into some Dells previously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users