Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card seemingly working fine but no display

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 onetimer75

onetimer75

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

PC has been running fine for a long time up until today. I have played games that strained the PC and made it really heat up (once I got a blue screen), but I stopped playing graphic intensive games a long time ago. Since then, the PC never got concerningly hot and there were no anomalies whatsoever.

Today, the monitor somehow got no display when i boot it up, although it was perfectly fine many months prior. I suspect it may be the graphics card, so I connected it to the motherboard to check, and the device manager says the graphics card is detected and is working properly.

Something like this isn't new, though. Sometimes I let the monitor sleep for too long, the monitor is unable to re-establish display, forcing me to restart. Then sometimes the monitor has no display if I switch on the PC right after turning it off.

The card is an Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

It does sound like the graphics card has started in a failure mode.  Just to be sure, if you haven't replaced the CMOS battery in 3 years, that wouldn't hurt.  It is possible that the BIOS on start up doesn't recognize the display and the display resetting sometimes resets the BIOS. Just a thought but it does sound like a graphics card failure.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

Did you try a different monitor?

Louis

#4 onetimer75

onetimer75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:06 AM

Well, it turns out that it is very likely to be a CMOS battery issue.

I've been experiencing clock resets frequently lately, I forgot to mention that in my first post.

The battery has also gone for a solid 4 years.

I haven't gotten around to try and replacing it yet, but will soon. I will update if replacing it doesn't work.

Edited by onetimer75, 01 July 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

After replacing the CMOS battery...be sure to go into the BIOS and reset date/time/boot options and revert all other settings to default...then save the changes.

Louis

#6 onetimer75

onetimer75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:27 AM

Haven't replaced the battery yet, but I just want to ask.

The clock stopped resetting as soon as I switched to the motherboard display. Switching to motherboard somehow stopped the clock resetting.

So I'm not very sure if this really is a CMOS battery issue.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:48 PM

The CMOS battery...is the absolute least-costly item on a computer system...which can create problems.  It's also easy.

It may not solve your issues but it won't be a major investment of any sort to replace it with a new one.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users