Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unhelpful error message.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChasAH

ChasAH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:06 AM

Sometimes, but not always, when Win10 boots I get an Error message in a small window in the middle of the screen which is usually hidden by other windows generated at start-up. It has a white 'X' on a red dot as an icon and the Title is "Error".

The message is "Unexpected initialization error.  If the error reoccurs, please re-install the program".

There is no indication of which program, file or service failed - or indeed, if it is still running but with problems.

Any Ideas?

C.H.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

The only thing I can suggest is to leave this message box "undismissed," start up Task Manager (or one of its analogs), and see if you can ferret out what running process it might be.

Another thing you could try is going through the Clean Boot process (which has been much discussed, on many occasions, in this very forum) which uses the process of elimination to eventually zero in on a culprit.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

But Brian the OP indicated that the error message is often hidden by other Windows that are automatically opened upon start up. That indicates that there might be more going on than simply this one warning. Each Window that opens upon start up must be dealt with individually.

In my opinion this situation might need the task manager as you suggested and also a follow up with MSCONFIG.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

Rocky,

I don't read "other windows generated at startup" as necessarily meaning error messages, and so long as those windows can be minimized you'll eventually find it.

I'd probably go the clean boot method, particularly if one doesn't have a huge number of non-Microsoft processes being started on system startup.   In any case, this sort of useless error message [for which I'd fire someone were I to learn it "left the house" such that there is *no* useful identifying information as to the source] it always comes down to some sort of process of elimination.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users