Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CRT Monitor suddenly black

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Kuro_Neko

Kuro_Neko

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

So I was just using my PC as normal, took a bathroom break, and when I got back my CRT monitor was black.

It's still powered on, the light isn't blinking like it's disconnected.

When navigating my multi-monitor setup my mouse still crosses over the CRT like its still there.

I can go into display settings and see it there, change the resolution (which does nothing) and do everything I could normally do.

The computer didn't restart or update anything, at least as far as I know, I didn't witness it happen but I was only gone a minute.

I've tried updating my display driver.

I have another vga monitor connected via a display port adapter just as the problem CRT is and that's still working fine.  

I plugged the problem CRT into the other working display port adapter, and the working vga monitor into the CRT's adapter, working vga monitor is still working, problem CRT is still a problem.

Disconnected all monitors but problem CRT and rebooted, didn't see a POST screen so the problem does not appear to be with Windows.

I even went so far as to change out my graphics card.

Unable to change vga cable as one end is permanently attached to the CRT.

Full system stats below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'll write off the CRT if I have to but I really don't want to.

SYSTEM LIST:

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

Given that you tried the CRT on two different ports, my bet is that the CRT has failed.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

When navigating my multi-monitor setup my mouse still crosses over the CRT like its still there.

Do you mean the mouse cursor is displayed passing across the black CRT screen?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Kuro_Neko

Kuro_Neko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

Given that you tried the CRT on two different ports, my bet is that the CRT has failed.

That's what I'm afraid of.  But I've never had a CRT die quite this abruptly before.  Usually there's warning signs: the sides start to bow or picture goes fuzzy or the color develops a tint or something.  This went from fine to dead pretty much instantly.

I was really hoping someone here would come through with a hail Mary.  Replacing this with another CRT is pretty much impossible.  You can't buy them new anymore, and ebay is charging $400-$600 for second-hand models that might die the day after you get them.  I'll have to go LCD but to get one that's close to the quality of a CRT is going to cost a fortune.

Edited by Kuro_Neko, 30 June 2018 - 07:42 AM.

#5 Kuro_Neko

Kuro_Neko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Do you mean the mouse cursor is displayed passing across the black CRT screen?

No.  I don't see the cursor, but I have to move the mouse the same distance to get it to pop out the other side onto another monitor as I would if the CRT was working.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,709 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

OK that makes sense (being able to see the cursor didn't), the video processing circuitry in the CRT is working but the CRT display is not. Normally when you switch a CRT on and off, you can hear (and feel at the front of the screen) the High Tension voltage give a crackly sound. If you no longer hear that, it has lost EHT supply to the CRT. That would be a common cause for black screen, and no doubt could be repaired, but at some cost. And finding someone to do the repair might be harder these days.

Edited by Platypus, 30 June 2018 - 07:50 AM.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

We (I) probably repaired on the order of 5,000 CRT monitors and the most common failures were the flyback transformer or the power supply section for the high voltage.  Depending upon the size of the CRT itself, the flyback produces 23,000 to 45,000 volts which is what sucks the electrons up to the front so they excite the phosphors on the back of the picture tube.  You need special tools and skills to test for which is failing.

Here in the U.S., new, decent, 24 inch LCDs are under $100.00.

#8 Kuro_Neko

Kuro_Neko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

OK that makes sense (being able to see the cursor didn't), the video processing circuitry in the CRT is working but the CRT display is not. Normally when you switch a CRT on and off, you can hear (and feel at the front of the screen) the High Tension voltage give a crackly sound. If you no longer hear that, it has lost EHT supply to the CRT. That would be a common cause for black screen, and no doubt could be repaired, but at some cost. And finding someone to do the repair might be harder these days.

I actually do still hear that high voltage snap and crackle when I turn it on.

#9 Kuro_Neko

Kuro_Neko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:56 AM

We (I) probably repaired on the order of 5,000 CRT monitors and the most common failures were the flyback transformer or the power supply section for the high voltage.  Depending upon the size of the CRT itself, the flyback produces 23,000 to 45,000 volts which is what sucks the electrons up to the front so they excite the phosphors on the back of the picture tube.  You need special tools and skills to test for which is failing.

Here in the U.S., new, decent, 24 inch LCDs are under $100.00.

A decent LCD doesn't equal a decent CRT.  I'm going to want IPS for close to CRT colors, and probably G-Sync to prevent graphical errors in high-speed games.  With a decent response time as well.  And those technologies all add to the cost.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,709 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

If you hear the EHT, it has probably lost video drive to the CRT, which could be a simpler fault. But still the minimum cost of a repair, if you can get one done, is likely to be out of proportion to the cost of a replacement monitor, as Davis McCarn has commented.

Edit: but I can understand you wanting the particular characteristics of a decent CRT.

Edited by Platypus, 30 June 2018 - 07:58 AM.

#11 Kuro_Neko

Kuro_Neko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

If I could find someone that actually knows how to repair CRTs I'd go for it unless the cost was prohibitive, the problem is finding someone.  I live kinda in the middle of nowhere.

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

I worked for a wholesale electronics parts business from 1973 to mid 1976 and, even then, tried to get the numerous TV repair shops who came in to add monitors to their skillset.  A monitor is, after all, just a TV with no tuner.

BTW (By The Way), having some high voltage does not mean that it is high enough to be visible.  I take it you have unplugged it from the wall for 5 minutes and have turned the brightness and contrast knobs all the way up?

CRT's; though, really had abysmal response times (more like 10ms).

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,709 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

Finding someone to repair a CRT monitor is probably going to be a challenge even in a metropolitan area these days, let alone well out of town. Which is a pity, it can be something as simple as a solder joint on the heater supply.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

Well if you needed the jump to a LCD panel i can give you suggestions.

But first a few questions:

What is your desired refresh rate?

What is your budget?

Do you really need gsync?

Also dont worry about IPS too much as some TN panels are just as good as IPS, yeah the color reproduction isnt perfect in some of them but its better than it used to be.

Just keep in mind yes getting a new CRT is downright impossible, no one has made one in years and repairing them is even harder.

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 June 2018 - 12:39 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 Kuro_Neko

Kuro_Neko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

Well if you needed the jump to a LCD panel i can give you suggestions.

But first a few questions:

What is your desired refresh rate?

What is your budget?

Do you really need gsync?

Also dont worry about IPS too much as some TN panels are just as good as IPS, yeah the color reproduction isnt perfect in some of them but its better than it used to be.

Just keep in mind yes getting a new CRT is downright impossible, no one has made one in years and repairing them is even harder.

Unlike tower parts which you'll end up replacing after a couple of years, a monitor is a long term investment that should last you at least a decade, so I'm willing to put in the money needed.  Anything up to $1k is on the table.  I've done some looking around in case the news I got here was bad and I've tentatively settled on this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530235583&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+ROG+Swift+PG279Q

Though I'll consider alternate suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users