Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print wirelessly from Ubuntu 18.04

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SRC45

SRC45

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

Hello all,

I have just loaded Ubuntu 18.04 on a PC in my home, and that PC is connected to my WiFi network.

The PC is mostly intended for cameras and various other tasks, but I'd like the option to print from it to my home network/wireless printer if I need to.

My printer (a Cannon MP495 series, if that makes a difference) is already connected to my wireless home network, and the other machines on my network are all Win7/8/10. I can print from those machines just fine.

So..... How do I connect my Ubuntu machine to my printer? Do I need specific software?

Thanks in advance for any help. I love learning this stuff!!

SRC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:47 AM

Hi, click on the icon in the bottom left of your monitor to bring up the "Type to search..." box.

In the box, type printer

Click the option that says Printers

Click Add Printer

Ubuntu should now search for your printer. When the search has finished, you should see your printer listed.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

I had to download the Linux drivers for my Kodak Verite 55 Plus printer to install. :thumbup2:

Since both drivers were .deb, the install was fairly easy. In fact, Linux Mint (a Ubuntu derivative) was the first OS used with the printer, the test page printed exactly as on Windows. :)

There are Linux 32 & 64 bit drivers for your printer, choose your Linux version from the link below. More & more printers now has Linux drivers available as these OS's are becoming more mainstream.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp495?tab=drivers_downloads

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,099 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

I don't see drivers at that Link cat?

SRC45, Just do like Al said, and I would print out a Wireless Configuration Page to get the IP of the printer, I've needed this a few times.

The PC is mostly intended for cameras and various other tasks

I don't think Linux has as good support as Windows for Print quality.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:02 AM

I don't see drivers at that Link cat?

The OS has to be selected to download drivers, just rechecked the link, there's Linux 32 & 64 bit drivers. :)

E3jXsVV.png

By default, the ones shown are by the OS detected when visiting the page. Go to where it says Drivers & Downloads in large print and these are there in the drop down list. This printer must have been around awhile, there's MS-DOS & most every popular OS through Windows 10 listed, plus Mac & Linux, surprising it's supporting all of these OS's, some near 25 years old. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,099 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

When I did that the first time there was and is still no drivers there?

There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:30 AM

When I did that the first time there was and is still no drivers there?

There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver

I see now after actually clicking onto the driver link. Shady business practice to include OS's when there's no driver available. :(

However, if the printer won't self install according to the instructions that Al provided, there's still hope. If one uses Google Chrome, there's a Google Cloud Print option in Advanced settings which has worked successfully for myself numerous times. :)

Being that I have a lot of computers, most with dual boot or more OS's, Google Cloud Print is a godsend. All one needs is the Google Chrome browser & be signed into their GMail account, it's free & offers 15GB of Web storage (17GB counting Photos). All bookmarks, extensions & most other settings will work across most computers, to include Google Cloud Print.  I'd imagine that if it works on Ubuntu 16.04 (base OS for Linux Mint 18), will also on 18.04, although I didn't have to follow all of the steps below, here's a guide if needed. 

https://medium.com/the-sysadmin/google-cloud-print-on-ubuntu-16-04-in-10-minutes-1f0bf97ba9d3

Of course, I never completed all of these steps, could be Linux Mint handles Google Cloud printing different than Ubuntu. The above was a random guide pulled from the Internet, and could be for older printers, as stated right under the bold print on top of page. 

Thanks to CUPS and Google Cloud Print Connector, you can share your old printers using Google Cloud Print (GCP).

While I don't have an old printer to try this on, can say that Google Chrome Print works great with newer models, just try & see what happens. Either way, this is a viable option to use when native drivers cannot be found. :)

Cat 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users