Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I Gone Tooo Far?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

i am using windows xp home edition and am like a monkey with a computer and yesterday went online to try to download a music program for free. in my search i believe i ended up a site which appeared to have all the cracked programs i could ever have dreamed of. i downloaded a program and installed it on my system. i use zone alarm security and it tried to warn me not to "allow" the action, but my blind determination to get my program resulted in me ignoring all warnings.
some hours later i started recieving pop ups on my desktop basically telling me my computer was in danger and i should download a program immeadiately to put a stop to it. i kept being diverted to websites for anti virus software but didnt download anything. i ran a virus scan and spyware scan but turned up no results.
i believe "softcodec" was the file causing the problems but couldnt get rid of it.
in the end i restored my computer to the previous days state and the problem appears to be solved.
my question is
"has restoring my computer really solved the problem or is there something burried deep in my harddrive that could now be performing other stuff without me ever knowing?"
"have i done irreversable damage by ignoring zone alarms advice and allowing something to get past my firewall?"
"could someone be just waiting for me to use personal banking information online and steal my details?"

any advice would be most welcome but please keep in mind i am not great with computers.
thanks!

Edited by hollywood, 10 October 2006 - 02:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

Hi hollywood,

in my search i believe i ended up a site which appeared to have all the cracked programs i could ever have dreamed of. i downloaded a program and installed it on my system.

No disrespect meant. but you got what you paid for. The program you downloaded probably had some other programs attached to it, just so they could "offer to help you."

"has restoring my computer really solved the problem or is there something burried deep in my harddrive that could now be performing other stuff without me ever knowing?"
"have i done irreversable damage by ignoring zone alarms advice and allowing something to get past my firewall?"
"could someone be just waiting for me to use personal banking information online and steal my details?"

Going back to a restore point may help. Check add/remove programs to see if anything looks foreign.
Irreversible damage - probably not, but there are things in existence that can embed themselves into your system to a point that even the best will tell you to reformat for safety.

As always, after a malware infection, be diligent in watching your accounts. The plain answer is - you just don't know.

Now, let's get your system cleaned. Try to remove the program you installed and then visit our malware removal guide. It has step by step instructions to start cleaning your system.

I wish you well hollywood. Please remember that downloading cracked software is illegal. The position of this forum is to deny any help to anyone that has hacked into or downloaded hacked software.

rigel
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator

Edited by rigel, 10 October 2006 - 03:11 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:16 PM

The mortal of the story is that crime doesn't pay. You were stealing intellectual property and someone took advantage of your greed. So much for the lecture!

There is a good chance that by doing a system restore that you eliminated the hooks in the registry that caused the problem you started experiencing. To double check, you could post in the following forum and have someone check your system:If you decide to post there, make sure you follow the posting instructions:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users