Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win8.1 Pro x64: Intermittent BSODs with various error messages (storport.sys)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Bumdark

Bumdark

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

For the last few months I’ve been getting intermittent BSODs with a small variety of error codes, including (but not limited to) “DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION”, “KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED”, “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” (at least twice) and “PASSIVE_INTERRUPT_ERROR”. Running WinDbg on the minidumps always points to “storport.sys”. The crashes occur at random, sometimes once every couple weeks, sometimes twice in one day. Several of them don’t even leave minidumps (including one shortly before typing this).

The system is fully up-to-date via Windows Update and the Asus support website (where I get my drivers). The only hardware change I’ve made was to replace the original 250 GB SSD with the current 750 GB Crucial-brand SSD. This was last year, and the BSODs didn’t begin until months afterwards.

What I’ve already tried:

• I run “sfc /scannow” frequently, once a week and after every crash, and no integrity violations are ever found.

• I also run “dism /online /cleanup-image /restore-health” every month, including a few times since the crashes began, and it always completes successfully.

• Following some research, I updated my SSD’s firmware to the latest version, but I’ve still had several crashes since.

• I’ve tried updating my other drives’ firmware/drivers from the manufacturers’ sites but have not been able to (can’t find the right drive, no updates available, etc.)

• A couple days ago, I ran Driver Verifier using the settings recommended here. It triggered two crashes in quick succession, first over UxStyle.sys (used to enable third-party skins), then over FSPFltd2.sys, related to FSPro Labs’s Hide Folders utility, which I don’t use and had forgotten was installed. I uninstalled it and let Verifier run for about 24 hours with no further bugchecks before killing it.

I thought I’d solved it after that last one, then it crashed again whilst watching Netflix just earlier.

I am at wit’s end. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

I will now run the recommended diagnostics and will update this post with results once I have them.

Speccy system snapshot link | Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   987.13KB   3 downloads

'Foreman's not as easy as Cameron. But of course, who is?'
'I'm in the room!'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

All of the dumps point to storport.sys driver as the most likely cause.

Go to Intel Driver support
Run the Auto Detect Driver Tool to check for any Driver updates

You may also consider removing Intel RST and only use Windows AHCI mode as follows.

Change IDE/Raid to AHCI
1. Run MSCONFIG
2. Enable Safe Boot (minimal)
3. Reboot into UEFI/BIOS and change to AHCI
4. Boot up into safe mode
5. Run MSCONFIG and disable Safe Boot.
6. Reboot

Please perform the following steps as well.

Step 1:
List all Drivers
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
1. Download the correct version for your computer (32 or 64 bit)
2. Extract and Run the file
3. Select View Menu and Check
1. Mark Non-Microsoft Drivers
2. Hide Microsoft Drivers
3. Add Header Line To CVS/Tab-Delimited File
4. Select Edit menu and choose Select All or use (Ctrl + A)
5. Select File menu and choose Save Selected Items
6. Save as Drivers or other known name
7. Save As Type Comma-delimited text file (.csv)
8. Compress the Drivers.csv file to a compressed Zip file
9. Upload the file to your next reply

Step 2:
Download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop

• Right click on program and select Run as Administrator
  • Select to Run All options
  • Click Go and wait patiently
  • After it completes (a reboot may be needed)
  • MTB.txt will be saved on your desktop
  • Upload MTB.txt file to your next reply

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, dmccoyks.

I ran the Intel Driver Tool and it indicated everything is up to date, no updates available.

I’ve attached the Drivers.csv and MTB.txt files as requested:

Attached File  Drivers.csv.zip   4.29KB   4 downloads

Attached File  MTB.txt   54.54KB   2 downloads

Finally, a two-part question about the Intel RST/AHCI thing:

1) Is it possible to accomplish this without booting into Safe Mode to disable Safe Boot in MSCONFIG as per step 4? Safe Mode doesn’t work on my computer – I just get a blank black screen, the only way out is to reboot. Normal boot works fine. (I wouldn’t mind receiving help to fix this issue as well, but I think it’s a matter for a separate thread …)

2) Because of this: How important is it that I follow this particular step? Meaning, is it a crucial step, or is it simply something I can try if nothing else works beforehand?

'I'm in the room!'

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

I am unable to continue with support. There is evidence of Piracy on your computer and according to the GTG terms of use you agreed to we cannot offer support until all Piracy is removed.

KMSpico

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

All right, setting aside the fact that I bought my copy of Windows fair and square and that I was forced to use an activator after I discovered that I couldn’t reinstall my OS more than three times on the same computer before “exceeding” the number of times I could use my license …

If I get rid of KMSpico and de-activate (?) my Windows, can I be eligible for help then? (Since you wrote “we cannot offer support until all Piracy is removed”.)

'I'm in the room!'

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

If you have a Valid license you should be able to use the automated phone system or now they offer download on you smartphone to complete the activation process.

If I get rid of KMSpico and de-activate (?) my Windows, can I be eligible for help then? (Since you wrote “we cannot offer support until all Piracy is removed”.)

Yes, once we have prove it is remove and a valid license we can continue.

Once removed, Please perform the following for verification.
  • Download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
  • Once saved, run the tool.
  • Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
  • To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Edited by dmccoyks, 28 June 2018 - 05:09 PM.

#7 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:18 PM

I’ve uninstalled KMSPico and tried my old, “exceeded number of registered PCs” product key. For some reason, suddenly it worked. I can’t even.

Next, I tried running the tool you linked, but it returned an “unsupported OS” error. Screencap:

js-bjczMSjOTfEewq1TCQQ.jpeg

I Googled it and it seems this particular tool isn’t compatible with Windows 8.1. Instead, I followed the instructions at the link and ran the following in CMD:

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

Here is the resulting report: Attached File  report.txt   4.95KB   4 downloads

Please let me know if this is satisfactory.

'I'm in the room!'

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:29 PM

Great. Please re-run Step 2 Minitool box as well as the following. I am off for the night but if all looks good we can continue tomorrow.

Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on Command Prompt and select to Run As Administrator
Copy and Paste the following into Command Prompt
cscript C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs /dlv > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)
Copy and Paste the contents to your reply

#9 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

MiniToolBox report: Attached File  MTB.txt   55.07KB   1 downloads

slmgr.vbs /dlv readout:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Software licensing service version: 6.3.9600.18376

Name: Windows(R), Professional edition
Description: Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel
Activation ID: 8da2dfae-e4f5-4e6a-9272-96f8470e033e
Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
Extended PID: 06401-02600-035-644517-00-1033-9600.0000-1792018
Product Key Channel: Retail
Installation ID: 350297516035447202374044900249579309722362585430290061014349923
Use License URL: https://activation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLActivateProduct/SLActivateProduct.asmx?configextension=Retail
Validation URL: https://validation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLWGA/slwga.asmx
Partial Product Key: 9P9GM
License Status: Licensed
Remaining Windows rearm count: 1000
Remaining SKU rearm count: 1001
Trusted time: 6/28/2018 10:28:00 PM

'I'm in the room!'

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:47 AM

Okay all looks good. What is the model of your ASUS? I am still analyzing your files and will be back as soon as I can.

Is it possible to accomplish this without booting into Safe Mode to disable Safe Boot in MSCONFIG as per step 4? Safe Mode doesn’t work on my computer – I just get a blank black screen

This is really strange. This may mean you have other issues.

I found the following method but have never used it myself. If you want to try I recommend creating an image backup or at the very least a Restore point prior to completing.

Using regedit, set the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci
"Error Control": DWORD = 0

and also in the StartOverride tree in storahci. That value needs to be changed to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride
"0": DWORD = 0

After restarting it should work. You can also delete the whole StartOverride block.

Note: If you don't switch to AHCI on the very next boot, the system will create a new StartOverride value (of 3) and you'll have to repeat the process.

#11 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Thanks.

My laptop model: Asus G750JZ-DB73-CA.

As mentioned, the only hardware modification I’ve made is to replace the original 250 GB SSD with a 750 GB SSD from Crucial. This was months before the BSODs began.

I found the following method but have never used it myself. If you want to try I recommend creating an image backup or at the very least a Restore point prior to completing.

Using regedit, set the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci
"Error Control": DWORD = 0

and also in the StartOverride tree in storahci. That value needs to be changed to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride
"0": DWORD = 0

After restarting it should work. You can also delete the whole StartOverride block.

Note: If you don't switch to AHCI on the very next boot, the system will create a new StartOverride value (of 3) and you'll have to repeat the process.

To be clear, this is to switch from Intel RST to AHCI, and doesn’t have anything to do with Safe Mode, correct? I’ll await your confirmation before doing this.

I’ll create a backup system image immediately beforehand (I already create one each month as a precaution).

'I'm in the room!'

#12 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Drivers / Software to update: Create a Restore point prior to updating.

AnyDVD is a really old version

uxstyle.sys - Is still showing the driver is installed
Kapersky - check for updates or preferably uninstall and only use Windows Defender

Go to Intel Driver support

Run the Auto Detect Driver Tool to check for any Driver updates

RTKVHD64.sys

Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=8&PFid=14&Level=3&Conn=2

#13 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

I’ve uninstalled AnyDVD, since I never use it anyway.

I don’t want to uninstall UxStyle.sys unless it’s truly necessary, since I need it for third-party Windows skins to work.

Kaspersky is kept fully updated. I’d prefer to keep it unless it’s necessary to uninstall it.

I ran the Intel Driver Auto Detect tool again and it still found no new updates.

I’ve updated the Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver to its latest version at the link, v6.0.1.8186 (dated 06/29/2018).

I’ll create a new backup system image and make the AHCI switch. Will report back once it’s done.

'I'm in the room!'

#14 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

To be clear, this is to switch from Intel RST to AHCI, and doesn’t have anything to do with Safe Mode, correct? I’ll await your confirmation before doing this.

That is correct this is doing it without using Safe Mode.

Kaspersky is kept fully updated. I’d prefer to keep it unless it’s necessary to uninstall it. It is your choice but I have seen it cause multiple issues over time. If you continue having BSOD's then consider uninstalling.

I don’t want to uninstall UxStyle.sys unless it’s truly necessary, since I need it for third-party Windows skins to work. Okay you can try without but you mentioned that it caused BSOD when Driver Verifier was ran so I would watch it.

Once you have the backup then try the Regedits and let me know if any changes.

#15 Bumdark

Bumdark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

I will. Running CrystalDiskMark on my drives at the moment so I can compare after I’ve enabled AHCI whether there’s any change in speed.

'I'm in the room!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users