Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WindowsXP interested in switching to Linux have questions, help!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Sacrifice

Sacrifice

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

My parents use a very old dell laptop with windows XP to do very basic online computer tasks along with banking and purchases i'm advised windows xp is not very safe to use so i'm interested in switching them over to linux however they have a printer that I know they will not give up

https://www.ebay.com/i/172655787015?chn=ps

HP DeskJet F4180 2007 era can they use this with linux ?

my other question is what is the best linux OS i've heard of a lot of different ones

i'm also told about Mint Xfce and Puppy would be the best options? as this laptop is rather old and slow

i'm looking for the easiest simple interface for them to use and something that will run the best on this kind of old laptop

laptop specs: system model inspiron 1501 bios version 2.6.3 mobile amd sempron processor 3500+ MMX 3DNow 1.8GHZ 1918MB Ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

As far as I can see, the Deskjet F4180 is supported on some distros .... https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/models/deskjet_aio/deskjet_f4100_series

#3 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

As far as I can see, the Deskjet F4180 is supported on some distros .... https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/models/deskjet_aio/deskjet_f4100_series

from what I understand from reading this link it will work fine on Linux Mint Xfce ? Do I install the driver with the printer CD software normally like I would on windows ? and what about other drivers such as wireless, video, etc how do these work on linux?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

No printer installation is totally different, there are no .exe's in linux nor will OSX .dmg files will work.

Your installer CD is useless under linux.

Instead we use either HPLIP (that would be in the repositories the system linux normally uses for program installation) or native printer installers (and yes one of these will come with Linux mint XFCE)

Dont worry about drivers, again none of the windows drivers will work for linux so you will have to rely on the native linux hardware detection.

Linux should pick up all your hardware automatically, its older so no need for special drivers.

But that 2Gig ram cap is a bit of a bother, technically this machine should be able to do 4GB of RAM so you can use linux 64bit

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 June 2018 - 11:53 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

No printer installation is totally different, there are no .exe's in linux nor will OSX .dmg files will work.

Your installer CD is useless under linux.

Instead we use either HPLIP (that would be in the repositories the system linux normally uses for program installation) or native printer installers (and yes one of these will come with Linux mint XFCE)

Dont worry about drivers, again none of the windows drivers will work for linux so you will have to rely on the native linux hardware detection.

Linux should pick up all your hardware automatically, its older so no need for special drivers.

But that 2Gig ram cap is a bit of a bother, technically this machine should be able to do 4GB of RAM so you can use linux 64bit

ahh i'm not sure how to take apart the laptop not sure how hard it is haven't tried but don't have extra ram would 32 bit linux mint xfce be okay ?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

It will be fine, just be aware that if you want google chrome its not going to be there as google killed 32bit chrome support in linux,

Actually that is the only real con on this machine, if its locked to 32bit OS's it wont be too long before 32bit support is killed off entirely.

Even windows is slowly turning away from 32bit.

But at least for now you can give your machine another few years of life so maybe in that time you can get a newer machine, linux is touted as being the salvation of older hardware for a reason though linux doesnt have the resources that microsoft does so 32bit support is becoming scarce.

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 June 2018 - 12:29 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

It will be fine, just be aware that if you want google chrome its not going to be there as google killed 32bit chrome support in linux,

Actually that is the only real con on this machine, if its locked to 32bit OS's it wont be too long before 32bit support is killed off entirely.

Even windows is slowly turning away from 32bit.

But at least for now you can give your machine another few years of life so maybe in that time you can get a newer machine, linux is touted as being the salvation of older hardware for a reason though linux doesnt have the resources that microsoft does so 32bit support is becoming scarce.

alright thanks for the advice, that's okay can live without chrome, just need printer, libreoffice, gimp and basic browsing ability

you would say Linux Mint Xfce the best choice though ? not Puppy or any other?

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

Well I didn't wouldn't necessarily recommend Puppy Linux for a new user to Linux in general Linux Mint xfce is a very good choice as it's lightweight and offers many things a new Linux user would like such as multimedia playback and very good Hardware support. Not to mention the user interface is very good for a long time Windows XP user as it has a very similar layout

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 June 2018 - 01:00 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

Look at page 92 on how to change / add memory.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1501_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Since you only have 2.0 GB of memory I would recommend Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce / Sarah (32 Bit).

If you upgrade to 4.0 GB of memory than I wold recommend Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce / Sarah (64 Bit).

(32 Bit)

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=221

(64 Bit)

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=222

Here's some documentation.

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

And from what i have read it is possible to get 4GB of ram on this machine, its a BIOS limitation at first of 2GB but if the BIOS was updated it could support 4GB.

It would have made sense at the time to have a 2GB limit for the machine as while the processor was capable of 64bit windows XP 32bit dictated a max ram of 2GB

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,309 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Using any of the LIVE Linux OSes will allow you to determine a lot about whether your computer is compatible with the chosen OS.

You can run LIVE without installing which will determine such things as whether you need to do more to use WIFI or the printer.

It will either boot or not boot. It will be much slower than installed as it only uses the memory...doesn't use the hdd.

You can even install in a dual boot with XP and use both or reformat the hdd which will erase XP using the Linux DVD.

If you are not familiar with how to create a Linux Live DVD from the downloaded ISO then please just ask.

You're 12 year old laptop is likely only compatible with 32 bit...not 64 bit.

One lighter Ubuntus is Lubuntu. The latest 18.04 is supported for 3 years. It comes with a Chromium browser and you can

install Firefox if you prefer.

lubuntu – lightweight, fast, easier

10 things to do first in Lubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver - Easy Linux tips project

EDIT: You won't need to add memory for a 32 bit OS but if you do decide to add memory...I have used the site

below for purchasing memory (CHEAP) even for an eighteen year old Compaq.

Computer Memory and Server Memory Upgrades, Lifetime Warranty - 18004memory.com

EDIT: plug your printer in while installing the Linux OS. I know Ubuntu will see the printer and install compatible

software for it. Likely Lubuntu would do the same but haven't confirmed that.

Edited by buddy215, 28 June 2018 - 02:17 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

thanks everyone for the input, 

I went ahead in installed the Linux Mint Xfce on the laptop got a few error codes in the command line on the first boot

(went too fast didn't write them down hopefully it wasn't too important)

(As well as when I wrote the OS to my USB Flash drive Rufus gave me some errors stating it had to download an updated file from the internet but it fixed it and went through I assume also didn't know if I should do FAT32 or NTFS but I did choose FAT32)

i'm currently in the OS and it's running great however

I can't figure out how to connect the wireless internet is my biggest issue right now,

wired is working however

Edited by Sacrifice, 28 June 2018 - 02:33 PM.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:40 PM

There is usually a internet connection icon in the bottom taskbar

But it is possible that your network card is not linux compatible, there is a cheap way to fix this thankfully with a wireless dongle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQT0YK2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00EQT0YK2&linkCode=as2&tag=wireless2016-20&linkId=c8598a4619fd2144bed2463f850e8b54

You could buy it, plug it into a free USB port and boom internet is fixed.

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 June 2018 - 02:41 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#14 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

There is usually a internet connection icon in the bottom taskbar

But it is possible that your network card is not linux compatible, there is a cheap way to fix this thankfully with a wireless dongle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQT0YK2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00EQT0YK2&linkCode=as2&tag=wireless2016-20&linkId=c8598a4619fd2144bed2463f850e8b54

You could buy it, plug it into a free USB port and boom internet is fixed.

ahh is there no other way to fix what i have?

i found this thread

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648096/how-to-enable-wi-fi-in-linux-mint/

however when i try to use the command prompt and run the commands suggested in the thread it then wants me to enter my password which it will not allow me to type anything, only press enter and give me errors that i didn't type it :smash:

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

When using the commandline you will not see your password, not even hashmarks

when using sudo type in your normal login password inside of the terminal window

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users