Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irfanview- Windows 10- and who knows what else!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 poulner

poulner

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Firstly I have tried to approach Irfanview,but it seems impossible to register with them. However this thread also includes other matters.

A time ago we took a holiday and I started to edit the numerous photos. Amalgamating the items from our cameras and other things happening led to me deleting wrong files. I found the missing files, fortuitously on an external disk, as I had recently upgraded my computer, by using Recuva. What was recovered bore varying file names, had duplicated views and had been audited for aspect size and so on.

I batch renamed all to be sequentially numbered in ascending order of date taken, but items,identical except for different original file  names or editing, at the same time and day, have widely different sequential numbers e.g 13 & 252.

I cannot think why this has happened.

Please; I hope someone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

Why *what* has happened?

Based on your own narrative everything that's occurred is the direct result of user-initiated action.  

Recuva, and most data recovery tools used to "undelete" files, look for all instances of a file type they can rebuild.  If you've been playing with the same photos, over and over again, and deleting intermediate versions of those these are simply marked as deleted in the data block header for the file.  When it comes time to recover files marked as deleted, the original file names will never be used, in my experience, when done in batch mode because very often you could end up with multiple versions of a file with the exact same name.  The recovery software prevents this from happening by assigning a pseudo-random (it's not really completely random) filename when it restores a previously deleted file.

Having no idea of exactly how you went about renaming there's no way that anyone can offer any definitive answer to how the sequence numbers came to be generated as they have been.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users