Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Hard Disk Drive Makes a Noise In Winter?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceRadio

SpaceRadio

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

Hi All,

We have a Dell Inspiron ONE2310 desktop computer.

We changed the hard disk drive once  before.

Our  computer is in a cold workshop and when I turn it off at night in winter and start the computer up in the morning, the hard disk drive makes a noise. 

1. It sounds like the bearing of the hard disk drive? 
2. Is this because the bearing fluid is cold?
3. Is it better to leave our computer on 24/7 in winter?
4. If it not because the bearing fluid is cold, then what is it?

Please help?

Best regards,

Yanni

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

Though I do not leave any of my machines on, in your case I would.  Set it up to go to sleep, the HD will not run during sleep but the other componants should help to keep it warm enough for the lube to do its job properly.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Well...how "cold" is "cold"?

Worth A Look.

Louis

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

my hp laptop is on 24/7 with sleep & hibernation modes disabled ever since i bought it in 5yrs ago.  same with my wife's toshiba.

your better off to leave it on in the winter.  matter of fact that why climate controlled server rooms are kept at 64 degrees year round.

your more apt to have a screen break from opening a cold laptop in the cold.   in the winter when it's cold if you turn on the cold computer

your introducing condensation into the mix and that could damage a multitude of things.   if it's on condensation won't happen because it's

already warmed up and operating.  now if it's hot in the summer then i'd shut it down at night.

#5 SpaceRadio

SpaceRadio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:01 AM

Thank You OldPhil and Hamluis for your help.

Old Phil, I put the computer to sleep after 2 hours, but I am not going to to turn it off in winter.

Hamluis I didn't turn our computer off last night, I just put it to sleep and this morning the internal hard disk drive of the computer
wasn't making a noise.

I am in Cape Town, South Africa, it doesn't get very cold her in winter. At night in our workshop where the computer is, it would
get to around 10 Degrees Celsius( 50 Fahrenheit). The office the computer is in in our workshop has a ceiling.
Outside in winter in Cape Town with the wind blowing it can get to O degrees(32 Fahrenheit) to 5 degrees Celsius(42 Fahrenheit) in the early
hours of the morning if you have a strong wind blowing. If you get lost in the mountains in the night here without the right clothes you can get
hypothermia. Wrong clothes outside at night in Cape Town you can get hypothermia even though we have mediterranean climate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users