Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless and wired internet not working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sacrifice

Sacrifice

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

just installed windows xp pro sp3 on my laptop and am having trouble connecting to internet tried connecting wired and wireless neither work

I have no wireless network connection icon or any other connection listed under "Network connections" besides msn.

https://imgur.com/a/0Clj3SM

^device manager "?" symbol don't know why when i transfer the image half top goes black.

i'm thinking i need drivers, this laptop previously had w7 and everything worked fine however i made a mistake and didn't look for the drivers it had installed, but i did a quick look and didn't see anything internet related so i thought i would be fine without any clearly not

i've tried searching on https://devicehunt.com for VEN: 14E4 DEV: 4311 and found one file for the "network controller" installed it, tried restarting computer and nothing seemed to happen

also tried searching for the ethernet controller VEN: 14E4 DEV: 170C but that link is dead it would seem on this website

the only other things are "modem device" "sm bus" " video controller " "base system device " "audio device" and i didn't think any of those would be the internet issue

it's a dell laptop system model "inspiron 1501" bios version 2.6.3 mobile amd sempron processor 3500+ MMX 3DNow 1.8GHZ 1918MB Ram 

not sure what other info i might need to give

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

Does the below driver give you Ethernet?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=6DYM2

Wifi

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=DMG95

Here is your support site for driver downloads.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-1501/drivers

After Ethernet and Wifi  I would download  and install the chipset drivers.

#3 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

Installed both of those, restarted computer have an ethernet cable plugged in as well as the wireless internet connection showed up and I was able to connect to my internet connection wireless however I still get "page cannot be displayed" trying to go to www.google.com 

also just this driver has "chipset" 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=PGTDJ

do i need / should i install any other ones you recommend? 

how did you know to find these just because it's a dell computer?

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Your probably getting page cannot be displayed because of the outdated browser. You may need to download firefox ESR.

In regards to the chipset, I would download that and also the Ricoh chipset which is your card reader. Is this XP at SP3?

I would download the Video driver, and audio driver on that page along with the Synaptics touchpad under Mouse and keyboard. Also CPU driver.

#5 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

yes, xp pro sp3 

thank you, this is my mom's old laptop and it runs slower than molasses thinking xp would make it run better since that's the original OS

can't see a video or cpu driver

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

If it still runs slow with a new install it could be some hardware problem but you could also try installing a light linux distro. Something along the lines of Mint Xfce if all that is needed is some browsing and email. I wouldn't recommend any banking or purchases on XP. That OS has a huge security risk.

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=193

System requirements:

• 512MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 9GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
  • Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution (1024×768 recommended).
  • DVD drive or USB port.

#7 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:52 PM

How hard is this to set up and how hard is it to use? Can you install microsoft word on this? She uses that a lot.

Photoshop? What kind of antivirus do you get for it ?

They do banking and purchases but she really wanted XP because she understands it and she doesn't like windows 7 because it's different on top of it made the computer much slower, it seems faster already.

Edit: i'm assuming the AMD Processor driver is the CPU driver for video are you referring to 

ATI SMBus / Chipset Driver, v.5.10.1000.7, A00

Also the firefox did the trick, thank you i'm assuming i can't use chrome then or anything else ?

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:29 PM

You may be able to use Chrome. You would have to download it and see how it runs. Chrome uses a lot of processes do it may run slower than firefox.

Yes, AMD Processor Driver is the CPU driver.

No for Video it would be listed in the Video section under Category

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=TT4HN

The video driver may make the computer run a little smoother.

In regards to linux, there is no photoshop or Microsoft word. There are equivalent programs like Gimp while not as powerful as photoshop will do a good job of editing images but there is a learning curve. LibreOffice will open Word documents.

I would definitely not use XP for banking. It is too dangerous. No Security Updates since 2014. Have them budget for a new Windows computer or a cheap chromebook for doing banking and online purchases only. Keep XP off the internet.

It is getting late for me here so I will be gone until tomorrow when I can answer any more questions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 10:30 PM.

#9 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

ah really I was always under the impression chrome was the fastest browser 

Does libreoffice work the same as microsoft word basically? They write a lot of documents.

Alright i'm going to tell them this and try to convince them to switch thanks for all your help have a good night if you see this.

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2018 - 07:38 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

Chrome probably is faster if you have a fast computer. Libre Office does open Word files and is similar to Word but not exact. 

You do not have to install linux Mint Xfce. You can burn a disk and boot it as it will run off RAM and the optical drive. It will be slower though. The problem is if the XP computer only has a CD optical drive. Xfce requires a DVD optical drive.

Another problem may be the printer which would not have linux drivers. If your parents use a printer and it's an older model they may need a new printer if they get a new Windows computer.

If they want to keep using XP take it off the internet. They can still use the computer for anything other than banking and online purchases. Look at getting a cheap Chromebook if they want to access the internet and do banking/online shopping/email.

#11 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

Hmm, so I would most likely install it on the laptop as the primary OS not sure if it's an optical drive or not. Are you suggesting booting it for the sake of doing purchases/banking? 

They have a printer and would not be willing to let go of it so theres no way they can use the printer with linux? 

https://www.ebay.com/i/172655787015?chn=ps

HP Deskjet f4180 it's 2007 ish era

" If your parents use a printer and it's an older model they may need a new printer if they get a new Windows computer."

Newer windows computers aren't compatible? or did you mean Linux? that last sentence confused me a bit.

Lastly, if you do think its worth me switching them to linux as a primary OS do you think Mint Xfc is the simplest to use for them & most efficient to run on an older computer ?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

Mint Xfce would be the distro that would not require many resources. I think you should start a new thread in the BC linux forum. The people there would be able to answer your questions especially regarding the printer issue. Explain that your parents use an XP computer for banking and online shopping. There is a very small linux distro called Puppy that can be used for online banking and online purchasing. Ask about that too. They can go into more detail on linux than me.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 June 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#13 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Will do, thank you sir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users