Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maximum number of usb drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tostrekfan

tostrekfan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Hi,

I have googled to no avail, so I thought I would ask here.

Quick background on what I am trying to do :

I have 300+ dvd's and 500+ cd's (yes i know, i have been collecting for years and am a sucker for discount bins!) in my collection I am about to start ripping to put on a plex server.

So here is the actual question:

I can buy a lot of 20 usb external dvd roms on ebay for a little over $100. Each one has its own wall plug for power. So if I buy a powered usb hub, how many could I plug in at one time and the pc recognize? The software will see any numbered drive and let me check to copy it. I want to load up as many as possible and let run thru the night.

The pc itself has more than enough horsepower to do it (dual xenon workstation, 16gb ram, Quadro card, win 10 pro, etc) and it will be storing the ripped dvd's to the plex server.

I was thinking about a hub like this and 12 dvd roms at a time.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/8874013291729086219_1163959916409393556_118724597?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-jspxyfnees&utm_campaign=118724597

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

usb you can have a max of 127 devices connected at once!

BUT since each drive requires a drive letter and you only have letters d: - Z:  available, once their all used up our done.

buy the little portable players for like $25ea without power, your usb adapter you provided in the link is powered so it will supply the power needed to run them.

Edited by mightywiz, 28 June 2018 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users