Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storm knocked out Verizon fios. Phone, cable, wireless but no desktop net

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 javajanet

javajanet

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

Phone/answering machine fried,Verizon box on side of house fried, stb fried, router fried, backup battery box fried after a storm. Tech replaced four items. Tv not affected. Dell desktop not affected. Three other house phones not affected. Problem I havent figured out yet - why computer works BUT doesnt recognize we have internet. All wireless items work. The one wired item doesnt. Thanks for any help. I did replace the Ethernet cable. Still no internet on desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pccobbler

pccobbler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

I've seen power surges do the strangest things. They sometimes deceptively fry components. You are going to have to debug it. I assume you're running Windows. Did you look at Device Manager (in Control Panel)? Most components that die display errors there. I assume your Ethernet arrives via an on-board Ethernet chipset (the other option is that it arrives via a separate Ethernet card). The best way to determine if your on-board Ethernet died is to acquire a separate Ethernet card, whether Intel, Rosewill, StarTech, Syba, or another vendor, with the cheapest costing $10, but make sure you buy the correct type for your PC, PCI or PCI Express (look at the available card slots in the PC and compare it to photos on Newegg). Disable the on-board Ethernet functionality in BIOS. Install the new card. If your Ethernet now works, the on-board Ethernet was fried.

Edited by pccobbler, 28 June 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#3 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

Hello pccobbler,

So it turns out that in device manager, I no longer have a network adapter listed. It lists Monitors and then Portable Devices. My ethernet wasn't fired - it was deleted!!! There was no chipset listed either! So, I went to the store today to buy an ethernet card like you suggested. They didn't have one. So, I bought a NETGEAR AC1200 WiFi USB Adapter and guess what?! I'm online on my desktop! So - that's the fix I ended up with. Thanks for your suggestions. Bye! Janet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users