Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntoskernel.exe causing keyboard stutter/lag

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mchiu

mchiu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

Does anyone else have this problem? This is on a 64-bit Window 10 laptop.

ntoskernel.exe is actively using about 10% of the CPU all the time. This may not appear to be a big problem; however, every part of the PC runs perfectly fine ASIDE from the keyboard. There is a tremendous amount of keyboard stutter and lag whilst typing. I have tried some of the solutions online, including:

1. Booting into safe mode - The problem persists in safe mode.

2. Using Regedit.exe to reset some memory usage - I've read ntoskernel.exe is involved in RAM somehow, but I have about 10 GB RAM that is free. I don't think it is a memory leak issue. Did nothing.

3. DISM Restore Health - Did nothing.

4. Reinstalling Windows 10 on the PC while deleting all the programs - Did nothing.

5. Updating drivers in Device Manager for every piece of hardware aside from the "System devices" - Did nothing.

6. Uninstalling the keyboard and restarting the PC - Did nothing.

Interesting, if I uninstall my touchpad driver and restart the computer, the keyboard stutter IS STILL THERE, but the frequency of the stuttering is REDUCED dramatically. Furthermore, the ntoskernel.exe goes down to about 0.1-0.5% CPU usage.

Because of this, I am certain it must be a driver issue related to the hardware.

Sometimes, the ntoskernel.exe issue will fix itself in a few hour if the PC is idle. In this case, the keyboard works PERFECTLY.

Sometimes the issue DOES NOT fix itself if I idle the computer for a few hours. If the problem does somehow fix itself, it arises again if the computer is turned off and back on. If it ever does fix itself, I don't plan to turn off my computer for a while, but put it to sleep.

Can someone please help? This is driving me insane. This whole thing was a pain to type.

Edited by mchiu, 27 June 2018 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mchiu

mchiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

Here it is in Task Manager.

Attached Files

#3 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Did you reinstall Windows or perform a clean install?

Download Process Explorer to your desktop
  • Right Click on the procexp64.exe or procexp.exe and Select Run As Administrator
  • In the View menu click on Select Columns
  • Check Verified Signer, Virus Total on Process Image Tab
  • Select the Process I/O tab and check Reads, Rights and click OK
  • Select Options Menu and Check Verify ImageSignatures, VirusTotal.com > Check Virustotal.com
  • Double Click on the CPU Column to sort by highest CPU usage.
  • (Highest CPU Processes should be at the top once sorted properly)
  • Wait approximately a minute
  • Select Save or Save As from the File menu
  • Save SystemIdleProcess.txt to Desktop
  • Upload file to your reply

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#4 mchiu

mchiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.

Attached Files

#5 mchiu

mchiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

Additionally, I just reset my PC in System Settings -> Recovery Options.

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

Your current report looks okay. Is there anything you can do to trigger the high usage? We need to determine what services may be running high, the ntoskrnl.exe doe not really tell us anything. If you can trigger the high usage then we can run a trace or use some other methods to help identify any issues. Are you just using a standard keyboard or provide the make and model. 

ntoskrnl.exe (short for Windows NT operating system kernel), also known as kernel image, provides the kernel and executive layers of the Windows NT kernel space, and is responsible for various system services such as hardware virtualization, process and memory management, thus making it a fundamental part of the system. It contains the cache manager, the executive, the kernel, the security reference monitor, the memory manager, and the scheduler.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntoskrnl.exe

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#7 mchiu

mchiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:56 PM

Hello,

The problem is resolved!! I reinstalled the Firmware for the touchpad on the PC manufacturer's website, and the NT Kernel & System is now at 0.1-0.4% CPU usage and the keyboard stuttering is completely and entirely resolved. This laptop was manufactured by MSI Corporation, and the keyboard was made by SteelSeries. I hope this post somehow is able to help anyone else with this problem. I suppose there was some incompatibility between the touchpad firmware and the driver. Perhaps the firmware was corrupted or modified at some point.

Edited by mchiu, 27 June 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

Good work!

#9 mchiu

mchiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

dmccoyks, thank you very much for your assistance!

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Your welcome but you did all the work. Let us know if you need anything in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users