Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to retrieve all files of the same TYPE in deep nested subfolders?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

As shown here:

cdRMvnc.png

When I am on the date level and try to run a search for type:(cr2 OR arw OR orf OR tif OR tiff OR jpg OR jpeg OR png OR gif), there are no results. All the images are always stored in 100MSCDF (5 levels down from ROOT directory). 

How do I run a search such that I can get ALL images from ALL subfolders to be combined under ONE main folder on my hard drive? I have already included "ALL subfolders" in my windows explorer, but no dice.

KerfNwz.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

try using the search criteria [*.cr2 OR *.arw OR *.orf OR *.tif OR *.tiff OR *.jpg OR *.jpeg OR *.png OR *.gif]

Works exactly as expected on my machine.  For that matter, so does the search criteria [type:(cr2 OR arw OR orf OR tif OR tiff OR jpg OR jpeg OR png OR gif)], which is what you originally offered in your message.  Are you certain that this is what you entered in the search box?:

images_search_file_explorer.jpg

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

this is very weird. your 1st search query works for me, but not the 2nd one (type: used to work for me last time though). just curious what would have caused it to malfunction? 

Also, how do I do the inverse query of your search and also specify a file size range of 1mb to 100mb? tried putting a dash in front of the square brackets but it didn't work.

Edited by randomystique, 27 June 2018 - 04:06 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

The square brackets are not part of the criteria, they just note where it starts and ends.

You would enclose that entire collection in parenthesis then add the criterion for size range.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

could you elaborate further on the size range? I am unable to define a specific range but can only choose from the pre-defined ones (S,M,L etc) 

size:(10kb to 100000kb)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:35 PM

See any one of the many tutorials on search operators in File Explorer (at least since Windows 7) from this DuckDuckGo Search.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

I used size:>1000<10000  (expressed in bytes) and that worked as well as size:(>8000<15000).  The parentheses make it easier for me to read and comprehend, but appear to make no difference otherwise.

See:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/lwef/-search-2x-wds-aqsreference

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,028 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:04 PM

IMO would forget Windows search and use the following program

https://filehippo.com/download_everything/

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users