Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant get past first boot screen with my flash drive plugged in

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Sacrifice

Sacrifice

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

computer will not go past first boot screen, completely freezes with my 8gb usb verbatim flash drive plugged in, must unplug and restart computer to get it to boot up normally, however my other usb devices do not have any issue (keyboard, mouse, external hdd)

before I started having this issue I was trying to install my windows iso onto the usb with the program rufus then suddenly after I did this issue began happening, it was not happening previously

I have tried, plugging the usb in different usb ports, reformatting the usb, checking for errors with windows, changing the boot order in my bios so HDD boots first, CD second, third floppy disk, and last network card, looked in my bios for "legacy usb support" to try turning it off, could not find this or anything else relevant to the issue in my bios 

i'm using windows 7 64 bit home premium sp1

this is my exact computer :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01287561

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

If windows freezes when attached how did you format the flash drive? Was this done on another computer?

#3 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

If windows freezes when attached how did you format the flash drive? Was this done on another computer?

no, i can plug the flash drive in after the computer is booted up and access the drive normally.

also, on another computer i can boot up with the same flash drive plugged in  :smash:

Edited by Sacrifice, 27 June 2018 - 01:52 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

Okay, I see. You cannot boot the computer with the drive plugged in.

Open a command prompt and type the following commands with your flash drive attached.

Edit: Detach any other flash drive or external drive to avoid a mistake.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X       Where X is the number associated with your flash drive. Make sure you select the correct number

clean                   This will wipe the flash drive so make sure you have everything on it backed up.Double check you have selected the correct disk number.

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

The flash drive should now be formatted. Reboot the computer with the flash drive attached and see if it works. If not we can delete all non-present USB devices which may work. Sometimes the drivers between devices can cause a conflict.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 02:05 PM.

#5 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Okay, I see. You cannot boot the computer with the drive plugged in.

Open a command prompt and type the following commands with your flash drive attached.

Edit: Detach any other flash drive or external drive to avoid a mistake.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X       Where X is the number associated with your flash drive. Make sure you select the correct number

clean                   This will wipe the flash drive so make sure you have everything on it backed up.Double check you have selected the correct disk number.

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

The flash drive should now be formatted. Reboot the computer with the flash drive attached and see if it works. If not we can delete all non-present USB devices which may work. Sometimes the drivers between devices can cause a conflict.

wow absolute genius, this worked thank you so much

i have another question for you might be able to answer, i have another usb flash drive san disk cruzer that i can access from my laptop but not this computer when i plug it in its recognized but here's what i see

https://gyazo.com/b9d30034927d1a3842da18e7fab2db3d

https://gyazo.com/c00f96147a7887406f8614a239d2b175 can't run launchU3.exe does absolutely nothing

i open it and see this

https://gyazo.com/d1e61a1f2db85f7e0b1e43162b0c93ff

still can't run the launchu3

tried going into the rar file

https://gyazo.com/b103c5d4f7296df5780190847a0853c4

and running u3launchersetup installed it, still can't do anything with it, on my laptop though it works just fine, maybe i should create another thread but this isn't that big of an issue especially now that my main flash drive is working again, thank you again so much

for your time and help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

I am not that familiar with U3 flash drives. It looks like the U3 flash drive creates a virtual CD to run programs off it. Do you want this capability on the flash drive? If not you can do the same steps I posted to clean the drive and reformat. As you can see from the below link, Sandisk phased out U3 in 2009 so it's essentially obsolete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3_(software)

If you want something similar to U3 on the flash drive look at Portable Apps. Using it you can install multiple programs on the flash drive and run them on any computer the flash drive is attached to.

https://portableapps.com/

If you want to keep these programs then I would start a new thread. 

And you are Welcome.  :)

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

If you are trying to install Windows 10  7 on this computer it may be freezing because it it looking for a GPT disk. 

Using the same diskpart command

list disk

Do you see an asterisk under the GPT column? If not then Windows 7 will need to be installed in Legacy Mode. MBR partition scheme needs to be selected in Rufus.

Attach the flash drive with Windows 7. Boot the computer and tap F9. This will bring up a boot menu showing your USB flash drive. Select it and the USB of Windows should boot.

Edit: If you do see an asterisk in the GPT column then use GPT partition scheme in Rufus.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#8 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

If you are trying to install Windows 10  7 on this computer it may be freezing because it it looking for a GPT disk. 

Using the same diskpart command

list disk

Do you see an asterisk under the GPT column? If not then Windows 7 will need to be installed in Legacy Mode. MBR partition scheme needs to be selected in Rufus.

Attach the flash drive with Windows 7. Boot the computer and tap F9. This will bring up a boot menu showing your USB flash drive. Select it and the USB of Windows should boot.

Edit: If you do see an asterisk in the GPT column then use GPT partition scheme in Rufus.

Yes I do see an asterisk in the GPT column and I also installed the windows iso with GPT in rufus still having this issue

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

Did you tap F9 at boot and select your USB flash drive? You may have a bad iso file. Download the iso of Home Premium 64bit here. It's no 3. You will need 7zip or Winrar to unrar the iso file. Use Rufus with a GPT partition scheme and see if it boots. 

Note: In Rufus sometimes a NTFS file system is needed to boot the USB flash drive but for UEFI is should be FAT32. If the above iso also fails then use NTFS in Rufus instead of FAT32.

#10 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

Did you tap F9 at boot and select your USB flash drive? You may have a bad iso file. Download the iso of Home Premium 64bit here. It's no 3. You will need 7zip or Winrar to unrar the iso file. Use Rufus with a GPT partition scheme and see if it boots. 

Note: In Rufus sometimes a NTFS file system is needed to boot the USB flash drive but for UEFI is should be FAT32. If the above iso also fails then use NTFS in Rufus instead of FAT32.

no, i can't do anything remember it freezes completely - i'll try your file 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

Interesting. Tapping F9 at boot happens before the USB flash even attempts to boot. You may want to try a different flash drive even though it works fine on another computer if my iso also fails. I never ran into this problem before. Do you get a menu when tapping Esc at boot with the flash drive attached?

#12 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

Interesting. Tapping F9 at boot happens before the USB flash even attempts to boot. You may want to try a different flash drive even though it works fine on another computer if my iso also fails. I never ran into this problem before. Do you get a menu when tapping Esc at boot with the flash drive attached?

oh, okay I lied I didn't try f9 specifically because I assumed you just ment the "boot menu" key which on my computer is esc, and I know when it freezes none of those keys work, i'll try f9 i thought it was bound to another menu though but maybe i'm wrong

yes, when i'm not having this freezing problem esc is my "boot menu" and I can boot windows from there i've done it fine with a different windows iso for 32 bit

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Does the COA sticker on the side of the computer show Windows 32bit or 64bit. I looked at the specs of the computer and it only shows GB or RAM. You may be better off installing 32bit if you only have 2GB of RAM.

Scratch that. You need 64bit to boot form a UEFI and GPT disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#14 Sacrifice

Sacrifice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:07 PM

Does the COA sticker on the side of the computer show Windows 32bit or 64bit. I looked at the specs of the computer and it only shows GB or RAM. You may be better off installing 32bit if you only have 2GB of RAM.

Scratch that. You need 64bit to boot form a UEFI and GPT disk.

COA ? 

It came with windows vista 32 bit originally only. I have 3GB Ram.

I think I have regular BIOS not UEFI

:grinner:

edit: oh ok I see in rufus it says target system uefi - if i switch from fat32 to ntfs should i change any other options?

Edited by Sacrifice, 27 June 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

If this computer originally came with Vista then it is not UEFI. If you saw an asterisk under the GPT column then the only thing I can think of is a drive over 2TB being attached to the computer. Anything over 2TBs need the disk to be formatted as a GPT disk. 

I looked at the specs of the computer and the CPU is 64bit so a 64bit version of Windows should install. If you still have trouble try a 32bit version of Windows 7. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users